Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have $3,200,000 to spend on U.S. Grant??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have $3,200,000 to spend on U.S. Grant??

I saw this and I had to post it.....

Re: Anyone have $3,200,000 to spend on U.S. Grant??

Sure...just let me roll up some pennies and dimes and it shall be mine. :tounge_sm
    Dan Foster

Comment

What a clown - E-bay is the refuge of swindlers and hope (hope that what is selling is authentic) - and anybody resorting to E-bay to sell something of this magnitude wants to do two things:

1. Avoid the scrutiny (and commission) of a major auction house
      2. Hope somebody is dumb enough to spend this kind of money

Perhaps if he did not insult the audience and lowered the price by a factor of 10-20, he might get a bite.

A find like this would be well known and would require two sentences on E-bay to sell....not a War and Peace of justification. Springing this "find" on the E-bay public is just silly...

and the letter is either a forgery or if it is genuine, is written as a courtesy only to get this guy off his back.

Or maybe its all a joke.
      Last edited by DougCooper; 02-23-2004, 07:40 AM.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Also, if you look at the seller's feedback, he only has a 16 rating, and furthermore, all of his feedback comes from transactions where he was the buyer. He has no selling history at all.

IMO anyone stupid enough to buy from a clown like this deserves to be cheated.
        Bruce Hoover
        Palmetto Living History Assoc.

Comment

I work for Tidelands Archaeology and we (they) do quite a few osteology reports. We have a program that can use an existing picture to measure craniums and then estimate musculature thickness. I just scanned in the two images from the ebay listing and scaled them to compare the shape of the skull.

Based on the ''brow ridge'' comparisons, it is not a match.

Grant's right Zygomatic Process differs in all the provided examples from the person whose image is for sale. Grant's right Process is higher than his left. (Did I say that right?)
          Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 02-23-2004, 08:17 PM.
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I simply compared the way the hair is worn in all 6 photos.....the eBay "find of 140 years" shows his hair worn more to the side. All the other images show it combed back. The nose is too small in comparison with the others too. Why don't we pool our resources and all get rich??
            Joe Madden
            13th New Hampshire Vols.
            Co. E
            Unattached

Comment

Originally posted by 13thnhv
              I simply compared the way the hair is worn in all 6 photos.....the eBay "find of 140 years" shows his hair worn more to the side. All the other images show it combed back. The nose is too small in comparison with the others too. Why don't we pool our resources and all get rich??
              Yeah, that probably works better than our computer program and a hell of a lot cheaper too.

Hey Joe, want a job?
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I sent the seller a note saying how bout he drop the Reserve to $100 and he throws in 20 Mansfield Preservation Raffle tickets to the winning bidder...

....no answer yet :D
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

If the photo was really taken the 1850s in SF it is worth a pretty penny alone. I think he need to loose about 4 zeros from those auctions. Some people need to always push the envelope.

Ckeck out My auctions. Hitlers 1969 VW Bug, Custers Sawed off 42 Springfield, Bobby Lees masonic sword, Jesus's Bierkenstocks......
                  Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Which one of these kids is not like the other? Which one of these kids is not the same?
                    Attached Files
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                    X