Gray Pennsylvania State Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray Pennsylvania State Uniforms

I happened to run across this picture today showing members of Company I of the 62nd Pennsylvania Infantry. They wear gray PA state uniforms. Note the first sergeant at the far right with the NCO sword. Also, check out his chevrons! Instead of the diamond above the three stripes, a fourth stripe is present, which is of a darker color.

Just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    [B]Colin Oravetz[/B]

[B]"Our march yesterday was terribly severe. The sun was like a furnace, and the dust thick and suffocating. Many a poor fellow marched his last day yesterday. Several men fell dead on the road. Our boys have all come through so far, accepting the hardships as a matter of course, and remaining cheerful and obedient I assure you I feel proud of them." [/B]

[B][I]-Lt. Colonel Rufus R. Dawes, Ten miles from Leesburg, VA. June 19, 1863 [/I][/B]

Re: Gray Pennsylvania State Uniforms

Those uniforms were originally requisitioned by Colonel Samuel Black, while they were the 33rd independent regiment, and were sky blue all around. After a brief flirtation with Chasseur uniforms(awarded for superior drill performance) the regiment reverted to the sky blue, and eventually by mid-war, had taken on the standard federal issue.

Gordon Sheaffer
    Gordon Sheaffer

2nd Lt. Thomas Jefferson Truitt
    Co. D 62nd PA vols.

Comment

Working...
    X