Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting blanket roll

Originally posted by Fod
    it could just be the arm position, but comparing the 6th and the 5th company men, there's a slight variation in the way the cuff trim and buttons was added. One looks centered over the thumb, the other the middle of the wrist.

Regarding the pipe in the hat and it's practicality, yes it may be a gag, but try it. When I was a smoker, I found that my hat band was actually a good place to hold a partially smoked (even still-lit) cigar. I could imagine it to be a good place to put a hot pipe with worrying about burning embers falling out inside your pocket.

Dan,

We need to remember that this Reg't was the creme dela creme of NYC society, from good families of rich merchants, attorneys, business men, etc. So these coats were tailor made to the man...
    If you see very very slight differences that is probably why...

I can assure you they are the wearing the 'same' jacket.
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Don't see an "F. Cozzens" listed....but there are two listings of a pvt. "E. Cozzens", Co. F 7th NYSM (30 days 1861 & 30 days 1862)

"Cozzens, Edward; Enlisted 25 May 1862, age 33 Co. "F" 7th New York; Mustered out 05 Sept 1862 in New York, NY"

Will look for alternate spellings as I get time...

Comment

Ryan,

On the difference in the jackets, yes, I was assuming the variation was due to different tailors, not implying that they were from different regiments.

I think too, it might be a useful observation when we discuss the difference between replica and reproduction uniforms. Some definitions I wrote up last year read "Replica: A copy. A replica is virtually identical to the original in every detail. Signs of wear or age may or may not be copied and the item still be considered a replica.
        Reproduction: An item using period patterns, materials and construction techniques. The variation in a reproduction and an original is the same as “the next one off the production line.” For example, a garment might have details attributed to a certain depot, but still retain the variation seen in different seamstresses. A reproduction may be modeled off an existing artifact or it may be conjectural based upon research"

The jackets depicted in the photos illustrate what I was trying to describe...if you were to make a replica jacket, you would have to pick one or the other, if you were doing a reproduction - the images show the degree of variation exhibited in the originals...hence the degree of variation that could be present in an acceptable reproduction.

Great images and discussion.
        Daniel Fodera
        Palmetto Living History Assoc

Comment

Working...
        X