Kepi worn backwards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepi worn backwards!

This is a photo I purchesed off a fellow re-enactor that needs to be shared! My friend received it from a co-worker who bought it from an antique shop. On the back of the frame that the photo was in were the words Civil War Tin Type.

In the photo the man on the left is wearing a kepi backwards! The man on the right may also be wearing a kepi backwards or may just be wearing a smoking cap since he seems to be a lttle more stylish then his comrade.
    Andrew Atkins
    Company E
    3rd Conf Inf Reg't

Re: Kepi worn backwards!

That may indeed be a kepi worn backwards, but the image looks postwar to me. The background art has a distinct 1870-80's feel to me and the man on the left is wearing a style of vest that I usually associate with post war fashion. I could be wrong... obviously.

-Randall Pierson

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO.. if one looks closely at the "pattern pieces" or construction of the caps, they do not appear to be forage caps?

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

By the backdrop the photographer used, and the cut of the clothing I would date this to just post-Civil War. The geometric backdrop is something that came into vogue in the 1870's. The pants are somewhat tailored, also post-war to replace the stove pipe Legs on the CW pants.
        Should I add, IMHO, two post war working men wearing caps to absorb perspiration and keep their cake-eater haircuts neat.
        Steve Sullivan

Comment

Looks like somebody discovered the original "cool dude", even if it was postwar. There has got to be a story behind that photo. Both men appear to have their hats on backwards, both are wearing vests, and both are smoking cigars.
          Nathan Dodds

Comment

I read about a cap being turned backwards only once in an account by a member of the 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters. He claimed to have turned his cap backwards to keep his red Third Corps badge from being spotted as he crawled between the lines at Petersburg to seek out a rebel sharpshooter. If you're wondering why he had a Third Corps badge on his cap after the corps was broken up in March 1864, some regiments of that command were allowed to retain them so long as they provided the badges themselves.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

The use of corps badges in after the consolidations of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th corps could be a thread on its own. There are some interesting caps displaying combinations of the original corps. I have even seen a cap with a combined 24th 18th corps badge.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

American artist Howard Pyle painted "Minnesota at Nashville " at the turn of the last century and as I recall several of the soldiers in full charge posture in the dramatic painting are wearing their caps backward. A semi-document of the practice ?
                Steve Sullivan

Comment

Contributions from the Jays years ago:

And I echo Mr. Sullivan, looks like a post-war image to me.
                  Jason C. Spellman
                  Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Men in the 14th Brooklyn are written about as twisting their kepis around to whichever angle was convenient to block the morning sun on the march to Bull Run (their havelocks having been "lost in the mail.")
                    Marc A. Hermann
                    Liberty Rifles.
                    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

"Rally on the Brigade" cap?

Andy Redd
                      Andy Redd

Comment

Post deleted
                        Last edited by Cameron; 12-28-2011, 01:20 PM.
                        Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone Battery Hat Sideways.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	726.4 KB
ID:	222759Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone Battery Hat Sideways Close up.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	222760

This image of the Keystone Battery illustrates the forage cap sideways look.

Source: Brady Archive
                          Last edited by Cameron; 01-30-2012, 04:26 PM.
                          Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

While in the next image we see the more traditional "just plain backwards"

Source: Brady Archive

Name:	Forage Cap Backwards.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	222761
                            Last edited by Cameron; 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM.
                            Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

These same men appear in a more recognizable image, just from a slightly different angle

Name:	company Kitchen.JPG
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	222762
                              Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

Working...
                              X