Union Cavalry man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Cavalry man

I have been looking through the pictures on Library of Congress site and have a new one to post. His equipment is a bit odd.

David Jarnagin
    djarnagin@bellsouth.net
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Unidentified soldier in Union cavalry uniform and shoulder scales with saber.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	230337

Re: Union Cavalry man

David,

I know this is stated as "unidentified" but was there anything that might have indicated if he was in the Western or Eastern Theatre? I want to guess Western, but can't defend that.

Tom Craig, do you see anything distinguishing about him?

thx,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Aside from the cartridge box he looks pretty normal to me, Photographer's prop?

Will MacDonald

Comment

If the box is a prop he went through a lot of trouble getting it under the shoulder scales. In the full picture the round eagle plate is very clear. I can post it since the full image is 118 mb.

The sword belt is upside down but that is common since they wanted it to be on the left like it should be and this caused many of the plates to be upside down. The plate is one of the early 3 piece wreath models with a bridle belt which should place manufacture later in 1862, but there were state ones made pre-war that were bridle leather as well.

Just one of several pictures I found that is odd.

David Jarnagin
        djarnagin@bellsouth.net

Comment

What are the chances, the trim on that jacket is orange and not yellow when the image was struck?
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Many Federal cavalry units, especially those in the Western and Transmississippi Theatres were equipped with infantry shoulder arms, were they not? Can't recall ever reading how these boys were accoutered, but this might be one answer.
            David Fox

Comment

Originally posted by David Jarnagin View Post
              If the box is a prop he went through a lot of trouble getting it under the shoulder scales. In the full picture the round eagle plate is very clear. djarnagin@bellsouth.net
              He also went through a lot of trouble taking off the sling and reversing it so the breast plate would appear to the front and the cartridge box appear on the correct hip. (The eagle is doing the backstroke) Doesn't the box also appear abnormally low? Strangely, the angle of the sling doesn't seem to lead to where the box rests.
              Paul McKee

Comment

9th Pennsylvania Cav was issued "Old" Belgian muskets.. They fought in the west.
                Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Moving this to Civil War Images due to content.

thx,
                  Mark
                  J. Mark Choate
                  7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Working...
                  X