Interesting breast plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting breast plate

This is just another one with U S plate on the shoulder belt; real nice blackened buff belt and cartridge belt. There is tape trim on the epaulettes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unidentified soldier in Union uniform with U S plate on ctg belt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	230338

David Jarnagin
    djarnagin@bellsouth.net

Re: Interesting breast plate

I've seen that in a Reb photo as well. This fellow is ID'd to the 44th GA infantry (photo from Time-Life series).
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Are we looking at a possible field modification?

The state jacket would seem to indicate a possibly early war improvisation though.

Either way interesting picture.
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I think all of his NCO's were dead and nobody told him where to put his box plate? Or, this is just one of those "cool" things we see from time to time that shows us all of the boys weren't all uniform in appearance all of the time. He was just trying in his way, to be an individual.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

It's too bad we can't see the front of the cartridge box to see if the round eagle plate is fixed on it. Could be someone just mixed the two up......

Will MacDonald

Comment

Perhaps new recruits wearing props from a photographer who doesn't know how they should be worn?
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Due to content, I am moving this thread to "Civil War Images."

thx,
              Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                I've seen that in a Reb photo as well. This fellow is ID'd to the 44th GA infantry (photo from Time-Life series).
                That looks like one of the pre-War militia cross belt plates that were very common in the early war period. Doubtful that it is a "US" plate, the oval cross belt plates were usually plain but occasionally had a unit name or state coat of arms engraved on them.
                Thomas Pare Hern
                Co. A, 4th Virginia
                Stonewall Brigade

Comment

It is clearly a US plate. Look again.
                  Bob Williams
                  26th North Carolina Troops
                  Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                  X