Colorized photo of Camp Douglas Prisoners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorized photo of Camp Douglas Prisoners

A feller from Denmark, who goes by the name of "Zuzah" took the time to color this photo so many of us have seen of Confederate Prisoners at Camp Douglas.

Coloring an original photo is something I know nothing about, no one would ever get this "right" in everyone's eyes. I thought it was something neat to look at, thoughts and nice constructive criticism is in order.
    Just remember to be appreciative, and polite, as the feller who did the work may be looking in!:wink_smil
    Enjoy:

Kevin Dally
    Attached Files
    Kevin Dally

Re: Colorized photo of Camp Douglas Prisoners

Wow! Looks great! It may be a little off in color but not by much! I really like it! Some will say its sacrilege to colorize but I think its provides a benchmark that the current hobby can compare itself too! I think we're hitting the mark uniform and appearance wise. Most of us could use the Fountain of youth. I'd venture to say there are more older soldiers in the ranks than were seen originally!
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Gents-

It certainly does put a new twist on a picture. Thank-you for taking the time and giving us all a new perspective.

Huzzah to Mr Zuzah!
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

It's amazing how much depth the color adds.
        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
        Yocona Rip Raps
        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

First, it is very difficult to determine the original color of uniforms from pictures given the lighting and wear and tear of uniforms...even if they are from the same bolt of cloth. Previous units which I have been and some of which I am still a part of have had period correct photography taken of us wearing uniforms cut from the same bolt of material and the same events for usage. Those specific uniforms show up in different shades when using period correct photography in sunlight. We do not know if it was the sunlight or something else. (By the way, none of those uniforms had been washed so we ruled out modern detergents as a factor.) Lighting is something to consider when looking at original photographs. Unfortunately, we may never fully know the original shade when looking at original photographs.

Second, it is a labor intensive process for colorizing original photographs. This specific result has definitely given me many possibilities to consider when I look at the result. It definitely gives me a new perspective which I could not imagine in my mind. My absolute highest compliments to the individual who took the time to do this!
          Matthew Semple

Comment

Many thanks to Mr. Zuzah for his labor of love in this photo and to Mr. Dally for posting it! I had a ancestor from the 15th Arkansas Infantry (Johnson's) that was a POW at Camp Douglas for about nine months. His health was so broken that he was discharged after exchange during a time of great need of troops for the AOT.
            Victor Sarna
            Sgt
            Company A, 4th Virginia Inf.
            Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Excellent! One of my favorite original photographs. Very neat to see this image given new life.
              Regards,
              Calen Lee Smith
              Florida Reserves

Comment

What was the original date/details on this image? I know it's AoT and have heard post '63. Were they captured at Atlanta?
                Regards,
                Calen Lee Smith
                Florida Reserves

Comment

I like it. Nice work Zuzah. Thank you Kevin for posting.
                  Andy Mouradian
                  JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I think it looks great, details jump off the page. It looks like it was taken at an event, not at a pow camp. plm
                    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Just noticed the sweet 'soul patch' on the gentleman 3rd from the right...

Also to this day, the gentleman sitting in the center (the main focal point of the image) just reminds me of someone out of the 1960's doing centennial reenacting..I don't know why...but it does.
                      Aron Price
                      AG

Comment

Working...
                      X