Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An unidentified Illinois 90 Day Volunteer and a second???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unidentified Illinois 90 Day Volunteer and a second???

Click image for larger version

Name:	34507r Militia unidentified LOC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	230460Click image for larger version

Name:	33438r LOC unidentified soldier Co H 7th Illinois.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	230461
    These two photos come from the Library of Congress Collection which is a real pleasure to look through--the second is an unidentified member of Company H 7th Illinois Infantry in either a Company donated uniform or future issue--from research the first 400 uniforms to the 7th Illinois were blue satinette and the time was May of 1861.
    The first is unidentified BUUUUTTT--- has the same backround as the first photo--another 7th Illinois Volunteer 90 Day? What do you think?
    Tom Arliskas
    CSuniforms
    Tom Arliskas

Re: An unidentified Illinois 90 Day Volunteer and a second???

Tom, the second jacket looks like it has a slightly shorter collar, and I cannot tell if there is piping on the collar as well. Also, it looks like Number 2 has some sort of pocket on the upper part of the jacket as well.

But, great photos. Thanks for posting!
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

I don't think they are from the same unit based on the photos. As already mentioned the second is missing piping on the collar and it has a pocket. There are two other differences that jump out at me as well. The coat in the first pic has button cuffs and the second coat does not. Also note the shoulder straps on the second soldiers coat and it appears there are none on the coat in the first photo.

Anyway good pics!
      Hunter DeBruhl
      25th NCT/ 14th IA
      Carolina Legion
      Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Very nice images Tom. I have to agree that there are too many differences for these to be the same type jacket. The background is only a white canvas sheet, which would have been used by many photographers in their studios.
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
          Very nice images Tom. I have to agree that there are too many differences for these to be the same type jacket. The background is only a white canvas sheet, which would have been used by many photographers in their studios.
          Scott-- I was hoping you would say it was another Illinois soldier-- so then I could say "Scott Cross says it is another Illinois soldier"-- as a reference-- it does look like the photo was taken by the same photographer-- but we will never know.

Tom Arliskas
          CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
          X