Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo of accouterments on the left side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of accouterments on the left side.

One of my pards found this picture of a Vermont soldier with his leathers on the left side, does anyone know why this is? http://www.flickr.com/photos/library...n/photostream/
    Julian New
    26 NCT
    Rumpus Regulators Mess
    "I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." -William Tecumseh Sherman

Re: Photo of accouterments on the left side.

Julian,

Welcome aboard! If you notice, the photograph is actually a mirror image. If you reversed it, he would be wearing his accouterments correctly. Sometimes, the photographers would arrange the men and their accouterments to attempt to "correct" this reverse image in the final product, but in this case, it looks like that wasn't done.

Also, don't forget to sign your posts. ;)
    Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

Well, that makes sense now!

Julian
      Julian New
      26 NCT
      Rumpus Regulators Mess
      "I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." -William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

Thanks for that insight. I never knew they did that for some pictures. I've seen a few with accouterments on the left and never knew why.
        Aaron Lutton
        51st OVI

Comment

You can also tell by the letters on his belt buckle.
          Keith Kosek

1st Minn, Co. A

http://www.firstminnesota.org/

“The beautiful thing about the truth is, the truth requires your questions. Therefore, there is no competition in art.” - Gary Busey

Comment

Keith, subtle observations like that, that i miss makes me feel dumb sometimes! good call!
            Aaron Lutton
            51st OVI

Comment

Aaron, don't feel bad, I looked at that picture several times to find a solution, and I still missed that!
              Julian New
              26 NCT
              Rumpus Regulators Mess

Comment

Working...
              X