Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image of a Soldier in the 178th Ohio

Gents-

Thought I would share this image of a private in the 178th Ohio Volunteer Infantry . This unit was enlisted for one year's service starting in the summer of 1864.

Several items of interest. The photographer was in such a hurry to take the picture you can see the legs of another soldier on the right side of the image. Also the props...in this case a sword/saber lying against the wall on the left.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Image of a Soldier in the 178th Ohio

Thanks for sharing! That's interesting. Did you have this in a frame or find this as is? Appears to be markings of a matte's circular opening around him -- with the matte in place it would have blocked out the legs of the man at right and the feet of the guy at left -- so the photographer was probably really cranking out the volume that day and saw no need to clear the whole room/studio. Would be interesting to know what happened to the other men -- were they all chums in the 178th who survived to be post-war friends, etc.?
    Cheers,
    Paul Hadley
    Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul-

My cousin shared it on line with me. I have never seen it in person so I can't answer too many questions about it...sorry.

Poor guy didn't even get a chance to straighten up before the picture got snapped :o I also thought his sack coat was interesting because it looks like it is pleated. Either that or its some kind of optical illusion.
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

This is a very high numbered regiment, even for Ohio. Obviously I have no idea if this would apply, but it came to mind... I remember reading Bruce Catton's Army of the Potomac trilogy when I was a young boy. One of the issues he spoke of was the high number regiments which formed up late in the war. Several of these regiments were filled with veteran men who had already mustered out after their two or three years, and had rejoined. They were considered some of the better in the army.
        Mike Phineas
        Arlington, TX
        24th Missouri Infantry
        Independent Volunteer Battalion
        www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

I don't think the coat is pleated, as it looks like it's just gathered by the belt into large wrinkles since he didn't button it up all the way. What's also interesting is that his trousers appear too large for him - notice the bagginess and the rolled up cuffs.
          Thomas Langley

Comment

That does seem like a high number for an Ohio regiment. A few years ago, I got interested in Ohio's 100 days' men. The highest numbered regiment I came across at the National Archives was the 172dn. That doesn't mean the 178th didn't exist; it may just mean that the 178th wasn't mustered into federal service.
            James Brenner

Comment

Ohio got up to 197.

Detailed service for the 178th from Dyers:

Left Ohio for Nashville, Tenn., October 8. Duty at Nashville, Tenn., until October 22, 1864. and at Tullahoma, Tenn., until November 30. Moved to Murfreesboro, Tenn., November 30-December 2. Siege of Murfreesboro December 5-12. Wilkinson's Cross Roads, near Murfreesboro, "The Cedars," December 7. Wilkinson's Pike, near Murfreesboro, December 13-14. Ordered to Clifton, Tenn., and duty there until January 16, 1865. Movement to Washington, D.C., January 16-29, and to Fort Fisher, N.C., February 21-23; to Morehead City February 24, then to New Berne February 25. Campaign of the Carolinas March 1-April 26. Advance on Kingston and Goldsboro March 6-21. Battle of Wyse Fork March 8-10. Occupation of Kingston March 14. Occupation of Goldsboro March 21. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. Duty at Raleigh and Charlotte, N.C., until June.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

When I get home, I will go through my notes about the over coats. I know of the 49th OVI receiving dark overcoats early on.

Not to side track too much, but look at the book "Baptism by Fire' about the 175th & 184th OVI at Franklin. They were one year regiments that had just enlisted and ended up to the right of the Carter House for the Battle of Franklin.
                Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                49th Ohio
                Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Working...
                X