Fantastic 11th NC Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic 11th NC Image

Was researching the 11th North Carolina for my family tree as my Brother-in-law's Great Uncles and Grandfathers were in various North and SOuth Carolina Regt's throughout the war including the 11th NC. I happened across this remarkable tintype from the LOC of one of the uncles. It may be the sharpest looking CS tintype I have ever seen and am very excited to have stumbled across it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5228587817_ba00e3006e_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	230538
    Aron Price
    AG

Re: Fantastic 11th NC Image

Good looking boy and fine representation of the North Carolina sack coat. Have you tried to discern the button designs?
    David Fox

Comment

Nothing can be ascertained, by my eyes at least, as to what buttons are on the coat
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	223812
      Aron Price
      AG

Comment

It is very hard to tell what the buttons are. However, when I saved the photo in black & white and enlarged, it appears to me they are state seal buttons. I could be wrong, but on the second button down I can make out what looks to be the outline of the two women and the top the staff. No matter what the buttons are, it is a fantastic picture and I always enjoy looking at ones of NC troops!
        Hunter DeBruhl
        25th NCT/ 14th IA
        Carolina Legion
        Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

From my friend Greg Mast.....................

William Thomas Harbison, B of the 11th. Enlisted Feb 62, lost a leg at Cold Harbor, 6/2/64. It is in the LOC collection, here is a link http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2010650213/ I copied it myself about 20 years ago, but the LOC is obviously superior.

Note the M1861 coat still being issued in 1862. I see them on new enlistees as late as October 1864. However, that doesn't fit the narrative, so you almost never see reenactors wearing them in late war situations.

Doug Davis
          26th NC

Comment

yes'sir that's him. I was able to obtain over 15 pages of his records and correspondence on Fold3 as well. That site is also a plethora of amazing information and documents.
            Aron Price
            AG

Comment

Working...
            X