Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An image I thought I would share with you all.
    [B][I]Zachariah M.L.E. Wiles[/I][/B]

-Breckinridge Greys-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE=3][B][U][COLOR="#FF0000"]~LIBERTY OR DEATH~[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE]

Re: Image

Presuming the men with their backs to the camera are CS prisoners, those are some pretty heavily laden soldiers. I'm guessing that their guard is a heavy artillery soldier based on his hat brass, which would make this a later war image? Interesting stuff.

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    Tom Craig

Comment

Gents-

Either the armed soldier is guarding a 4th grade class or he is 6'-4" or better. He towers over everyone.
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

That photo is of CS prisoners taken at Five Forks. Based on the '61 Springfield the "Heavy" is holding he is about 5'8".
        Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Looking closer at the photo the Heavy has is Springfield resting on his toe or on a rock. That puts him in the 5'10 range.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Those haversacks are huge.......

George Royal
            1st FL Co D "Walton Guard"
            3rd US Infantry Co C

Comment

Working...
            X