Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortened NC sackcoat

Hello,

While recently searching for images of North Carolina soldiers I found this image of Private Thomas Elijah Marks of Company B, 53rd Regiment N C Troops who appears to be wearing a shortened North Carolina sackcoat. I thought this might be of interest considering the amount of interest many members had in shortened Federal sackcoats.

The image is from an auction site - I do not have any affiliation w/ the site or the sale of the image, just thought it was very interesting.

The photo description is as follows:
    Private Thomas Elijah Marks of Company B, 53rd Regiment N C Troops. Marks’s six button coat indicates that he was a sergeant; however, there is no evidence that he rose above the rank of private of private, and it seems probable that the coat was borrowed for this photograph. He wears a cartridge box sling and kepi and the roller buckle on his belt is of a type commonly seen in images of North Carolina soldiers. Marks was killed at Gettysburg on July 3, 1863, probably in the the fighting at Culp’s Hill. His service record appears on page 54 (84?) of this volume (North Carolina Troops 1861-1865, Vol. XIII, Infantry 53rd – 56th Regiments, Jordan). Image furnished by Thomas D. Gable, Charlotte, North Carolina.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Markscoat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	230555
    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Re: Shortened NC sackcoat

I don’t know,

The angle isn’t the best to make a determination but they look like epaulettes to me as they are raised above the shoulder whereas NC Sack Coats have the black shoulder pieces sewn into the body.
    Bryan Beard
    Virginian

Comment

I was going to post the auction site where the photo is up (along with other related possessions of Pvt. Marks) but wasn't sure if it was OK w/ this forum.

At the auction site you can zoom in a little more. To my eye the "epaulettes" definitely look to be the sewn down black ones common to the NC tunic.

I almost did add a "?" to the title of the thread to cover any error I may have made in my opinion on the jacket. It would be interesting to see, if it is a NC sackcoat, if there are any others evident in period photos. Unfortunately I sold my copy of Mast's "State Troops and Volunteers..." about 7 years ago.

Awaiting more responses/opinions.

Actually just found copies (or partial copies)of the Mast books on-line here:

Last edited by BobRoeder; 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM. Reason: added book link
      Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Didn't NC produce a odd jacket that had the trim of the earlier sack coat was cut like a jacket? I think they did this for a few months in early 1862 after they stopped making the sack coat and before the well known "NC Jacket" was produced starting in the summer of 1862.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Correct. If you check the link to Greg Mast's site cited above you will see at least two of the images show men wearing this "transition" jacket.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
          X