Help With photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With photos?

I have three photos - currently - of one of the units that I am in. If anyone could I need help zooming in to get more details of what they are wearing, etc.
    The Unit is Taylor's Battery (1st IL. Light Artillery, Co. B.), and the first picture is them in 1861 (at Birds Point), in their pre-war militia style uniforms.
    What type of Jacket is the second (unidentified) man wearing? And are those canvas shoes in the last picture??

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Re: Help With photos?

Well, I can't what they are wearing in that first image. The resolution is so poor that, even blown up, you can't tell a thing.
    Attached Files
    John Stillwagon

Comment

Sorry about that. Is that an Artillery shell jacket the second man is wearing? the thing I was most interested in was the Canvas civilian shoes they are wearing in the last photo.

Any Help would be great.
      I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
      Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
      Hard Head Mess
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack
        Sorry about that. Is that an Artillery shell jacket the second man is wearing? the thing I was most interested in was the Canvas civilian shoes they are wearing in the last photo.

Any Help would be great.
        Look on the Jersy Skillet Lickers page under footwear. I beleive that you will find a reproduction canvas shoe exactly like those in the picture.

Dave Peteson

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack
          I have three photos - currently - of one of the units that I am in. If anyone could I need help zooming in to get more details of what they are wearing, etc.
          The Unit is Taylor's Battery (1st IL. Light Artillery, Co. B.), and the first picture is them in 1861 (at Birds Point), in their pre-war militia style uniforms.
          What type of Jacket is the second (unidentified) man wearing? And are those canvas shoes in the last picture??

Thanks,
          The first picture is really hard to tell, you may try doing some research into milita unifroms worn/issued in the area this unit is from. Consult the state or local archives for starts. Pics 2-3 appear to be standard Federal issue 11-12 button jackets, presumably trimmed in scarlet. 3rd pic definitly appears to be canvas shoes. I believe Bob Serio repops these.

Wish I could be of more help.
          [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
          [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
          [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
          [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

In the first photo, the man in the center is wearing a knife and a pistol in what looks like a civilian belt or a gunsling. Uniform wise, I can not tell.

Mike Ray
            Ruff n' Readys

Comment

Fwiw!

Not your answer, but maybe some other assistance on Taylor stuff. Here is some stuff listed at Ill. State Historical Library in Springfield, Ill. You may already know of it, but here it is anyway....

Bearss, Edwin C. "Pvt. Charles E. Affeld Describes the Mechanicsburg Expeditions: Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society" 56 (1963) 233-56.

Boos, J. E. "Civil War Diary of Patrick H. White" Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society" 60 (1967) 267-96.

Pierce, Charles W., comp. Reunions of Taylor's Battery, 18th Anniversary of the Battle of Fort Donelson, February 14, 1880, 25th Anniversiary of the Battle of Belmont, November 6, 1886. Chicago. Craig Press, 1980.

Also,

Lake, Lewis F. "My War Service as a Member of Taylor's Battery' Company B, First Illinois Light Artillery" MS SC 1884. Lewis F. Lake papers.

There is a photo of Lake. Studio, seated shot. No headgear. Wearing a jacket, can see at least six buttons, probably more. No epaulettes. These items are at Springfield as well.

If you can, get to ISHL (but call first!) and ask to see the 'Logan Collection' of CW images over at the Audio/Visual department, see Mary Michaels. But call first to make sure they are 'home' - you might get lucky.

I know of some Battery A, 1st Ill. Light pics showing gray jackets. But that's all I have right now.
              If you find anything, in particular, gray or state-issue stuff, I'd love to hear about it!

John Pillers
              Skulkers Mess
              John Pillers
              Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Thanks for the great post, John.
                I will try calling the ISHL.
                I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've heard they have a Taylors jacket (not on display) at the Chicago Historical Society. I've been trying to view it, but I need more of a reputation to do that so I really can't. Supposedly, (if it's true) it is a 5 button Artillery Shell jacket.
                I shall post again, I am going to try and get more information.

Thanks again,
                I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                Hard Head Mess
                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Re: Logan Collection

About the Ill. C.W. images at ISHL:

There are two categories, one is sorted alphabetically and the other is sorted by regiment. (Providing such info is known) Its not perfect, but its what we have.

I mentioned calling ahead... I've heard talk that manuscripts and who knows what else was 'supposed' to move into the new honkin' Abe Lincoln presidential library thingy but that was mucho months ago. I haven't been up there for a year or so (boo hoo) so I assume Mary Michaels is still there. The woman overseeing manuscripts is (?) Cheryl Schirring (sp?)

Plus it never hurts to let them know you're coming. I've dropped by sometimes and found the head person out of the office and the rank and file not willing to cooperate without so-and-so saying it was OK.

Later,
                  John Pillers
                  Skulker
                  John Pillers
                  Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
                  X