ID:	230852

Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: Explain this headgear, unit etc.

Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I believe it was a kind of experimental headgear that was issued to Rhode Island or Massachusettes troops early in the war. There is a hat somewhat similar to the one in your picture in the Military & Historical Image Bank. See the link below.

The previous page gives this information about the hat I gave the link to on the M & H Image Bank website. "Whipple patten havelock cap worn by George W. Taylor of the 4th Massachusetts Battery
      H "
      Last edited by Cumpston1862; 08-30-2013, 10:10 AM.
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Besides the Whipple-Cap, this is possibly an early war Illinois gray frock coat he is wearing. The image has been published, but I forget where.
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Paul McKee

Comment

That is a New Hampshire soldier wearing the cloth variant of the Whipple cap referred to in period texts and state contracts as a "havelock" cap. These were provided to early NH volunteers made of mixed dark to light gray and mixed brown wool, cut and sewn together instead of being an actual seamless molded felt style like the Whipple and Loomis caps. The overall design was somewhat similar to a deerstalker.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Thanks boys. To go by your clues then this likely has something to do with the John F. Whipple July 1861 patent for a hat that was a cross between a forage cap and a Havelock, the brim worn up or down and a flap to keep the sun off the neck. As you all know the typical Havelock was a cap cover made popular by Sir Henry Havelock of the British army in the Sepoy Rebellion in India in 1857, an optional attachment. Here we don't see the sun flap (Havelock portion) probably because the photo is from the front...

Have to say it's a bit Elmer Fudd.

Dan Wykes
              Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
              X