Awesome Tennessee Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Tennessee Image

Check out this soldier of the 24th Tennessee wearing what is likely a Columbus Depot jacket (can't see cuffs) with Block "I" buttons clearly evident: http://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/images/32570.jpg

Photo is from Tennessee State Library Archives.
    Attached Files
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: Awesome Tennessee Image

Thanks for sharing Bob. The flash must have caught the buttons just right as they almost look highlighted. I haven't seen that very often. Most of the time ya have to guess or risk going blind trying to blow it up :)
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	casti.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	224009

They are most likely solid cast I buttons like the two at the top of this photo. The I is usually more pronounced, polished and wider than the common stamped I buttons found in the ANV. The other possibility are what are referred to as Tennessee Puff I buttons which are also more pronounced including the rim which protrudes more than the common ANV stamped I buttons. Either way it is a great image.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim,
        Those were the two I was tryin to decide between, also. Had thought about asking your opinion. Had also considered pewter I buttons.
        Pat Brown

Comment

This is a photograph of my great-great grandfather. Having access to the original photograph, he is without a doubt wearing what we would call a Type II Columbus Depot jacket. While it is impossible to determine 100 percent what the buttons are they appear to be brass cast I buttons. With a bit of speculation we think the photo was made during the winter of '63 or '64.

Greg Daimwood
          "Henrich Demuth"

Comment

Cast brass I buttons began showing up for the first time on sites occupied by the AOT in Oct - Nov 63.

Roger Hansen

Comment

Working...
            X