Unknown Ky Infantry orderly Sergt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Ky Infantry orderly Sergt.

This was an image that appeared in the Sentinal News, Shelbyville Ky back about 6 years ago, that I held onto it because it was a neat picture. Notice the commercial sack coat. Of cource it was misidentified as a Confederate Cavalryman.
    Attached Files

Re: Unknown Ky Infantry orderly Sergt.

Hi Clark,

Nice image. As it happens, I was planning to "hot-rod" my sack coat by adding a very similar breast pocket. Perchance can you tell me the exact date of the Shelbyville newspaper article in which this photo appeared?

Thanks,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Why sure, it was the Oct 7, 1997 issue. Also the little caption by the photo reads, "Bird Smith, at left, posed in his Confederate uniform on April 4, 1864, while he served with John Hunt Morgan." Either the man pictured is not Bird Smith, or Bird Smith was a Union soldier and the family member that submitted the pic and story, had a big case of wishful thinking (it's fairly common in these parts concerning Union ascestors). There is no Bird Smith or any 1st Sergt Smith that I've found on the rolls of the 6th KY Inf, which was partially recruited from the Shelby Co. area. It is possible that the man pictured moved here after the war and served in some other unit, maybe even from another state. I need to send this info to Brandon Slone, and see if he can find anything on him.

PS, you can just make out the top button of his military style vest in the copy I have.

Comment

That looks like a private purchase coat to me.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
          That looks like a private purchase coat to me.
          That's most definitely a private purchase sack coat...makes me antsy to get my new Daley Lt. Star coat. Boy will I be one spiffy enlisted man in that.

-Tad
          Tad Salyards
          Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Comment

Yup, commercial/private purchase, same beast.

Comment

The coat pictured is very similar to another original privately purchased coat in the Troiani collection (you can't have just one) that is currently on display in Connecticut. Unlike the Starr coat, but like the one pictured here, this coat featured more "ready-made" tailoring techniques such as patch pockets. I believe that coat is pictured in Troiani's latest book.

Clark,

On a lighter note, here's a humorous story related to the the Civil War ancestors of modern Kentuckians.

A few years back, a travelling version of the Soldiers and Sailors database was making the rounds through NPS CW sites. It's tenure at Shiloh was the cause of great consternation as many Kentuckians discovered that "Grandpa Jim" or "Uncle Zeke" soldiered with the 5th KY (US) rahter than the Orphan Brigade. Apparently so many peope were furious about these "mistakes" that the databases visit was cut short.

As a native Marylander, I understand this phenomon.
              John Stillwagon

Comment

Want to make an eastern Kentuckian ready to kill ya (I'm serious here) show him proof that GG Granpappy was a Union soldier and not the CS version. I call this "the Kentucky Confederate Myth", any old hick in this state will readily state that "GGrandaddy was a Confederate Colonel, and he married a Cherokee princess."

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
                  Yup, commercial/private purchase, same beast.
                  Clark

Sorry I didnt catch the "commercial" part of your 1st post. Thats what I get for skimming :confused_
                  Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                  X