Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Image of a Mounted Cavalry Officer

Gents-

All you cavalry guys seem to get pretty excited about these kind of images I figured I would post this for you.

Another fine image in Quarter-plate size, this cavalry Officer is sporting what appears to be an Ames style cavalry officers Sabre with brass ring-mounts. He's wearing an Officers Frock and pants, a fine Hardy hat with Plume and a pair of buff-leather gauntlets.

Enjoy.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Outside Image of a Mounted Cavalry Officer

Thanks Louis.
    Great Pic. Shame there is no identification with him. Has some interesting equipment and certainly didn't follow the manual for folding his saddle blanket.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I have seen that photo before, but it is a neat one. Rob, I'm pretty sure he has some sort of saddle pad or a second blanket on that horse. I don't think it's one big blanket. That is a horse with pretty poor confirmation...the back doesn't match the front at all.

Take care,
      Tom Craig
      1st Maine Cavalry
      Tom Craig

Comment

Tom,
        He does have a lot going on with that blanket/pad. The corners look to neat to be a folded blanket. I doubt it but could it be huge leather skirts? Maybe a thin leather skirt? It is hard to tell the type of saddle but I don't think it is a Mac. I just like pointing out when troopers didn't fold their blanket or roll their blankets exactly the way the manual describes for you know who..... I also can't tell exactly what he is using for a breast strap. I thought maybe a curcingle, but not real sure.
        Rob Bruno
        1st MD Cav
        http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Working...
        X