Interesting Photo from Appomattox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Photo from Appomattox

Found this image, thought it was interesting with the varying degree of uniforms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Appomattox_Court_House_Union_soldiers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	231383
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 04-09-2015, 09:03 AM. Reason: Increased thumbnail to full size.
    Don Woods
    Member ABT

Re: Interesting Photo from Appomattox

Particularly with Mr. Reb in the picture by the middle stack.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I will preface this with saying I am not as familiar with the Army of the Potomac's uniform changes throughout the war beyond the basics, however I thought I had read somewhere about there being orders against wearing slouch hats? I think the only forage cap I see is on the person above the left shoulder of the man with the cane and that is hard to make out for sure due to shadows. Just looking at the picture without context you could have easily guessed this to be Western Theater based on headgear.
      Jake Koch
      The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
      https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
      -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
      -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

It was 150 years ago today that Lee surrendered at Appomattox. Here the full version of the photo Don posted:

Name:	03908v (1).jpg
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	224667
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Another image of a large group.

Name:	s-111-BA-1895.jpg
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	224668
          Don Woods
          Member ABT

Comment

Eric,

The photo you posted is a different photo than the detail that Don first posted. The camera is in the same location and some are also in this photo standing in the same location and in the same manner. This photo does not have the children in it the way the details of the photo first posted and the full size that Don posted directly following your post.

Both are great photos and appear to have been shot moments apart from eachother with only a reset of the plate in the camera and people being added or subtracted in between the two photos.

Matt
            Last edited by Matthew Semple; 04-09-2015, 10:35 AM. Reason: Corrected wording to be more clear
            Matthew Semple

Comment

Matt, yep. Good catch. I saw two different versions on the LOC site. Literally looks like the two photos were taken minutes apart.
              ERIC TIPTON
              Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by jake.koch View Post
                I will preface this with saying I am not as familiar with the Army of the Potomac's uniform changes throughout the war beyond the basics, however I thought I had read somewhere about there being orders against wearing slouch hats? I think the only forage cap I see is on the person above the left shoulder of the man with the cane and that is hard to make out for sure due to shadows. Just looking at the picture without context you could have easily guessed this to be Western Theater based on headgear.
                I've been looking at these series of images for a while. The soldiers in these photographs are members of the Army of the James. You can make out what looks to be a 24th Army Corps badge on a few of the soldiers.
                Bill Backus

Comment

Good eye there Bill.. Gotta LOVE those corps badges.

A quick read on those who served reveal they started off pretty miserably under Butler in the Overland and Bermuda Hundred Campaigns and fought to redeem themselves by attempting to take Richmond and Petersburg's fortifications with both success and stagnation.. Talk about hurry up and wait even in the last year of war.. A large number fought with distinction at Chaffin's Farm, Fort Harrison, and the fights at Fort Fisher. They were acquainted with serving alongside negro troops at many engagements, being in the same corps for a time, so they would have had to grapple with that cultural shift, personally. I assume that they were largely composed of late bloomers and reenlisters from all walks of life that were intended to be used as occupation troops under a new command and new objectives. They had certainly been some of those engaged at Appomatox after the fall of Petersburg so I might suppose that the reasons they are subjects in the picture are that they remained bivouacked nearby and that they may have been seen as a full circle redeemable force that helped secure the defeat of the rebellion. But then again, I wasn't there..
                  Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 04-09-2015, 04:39 PM.
                  Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                  Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                  ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                  ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                  ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                  ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                  ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Bill and Jon - Thanks for the info!
                    Jake Koch
                    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
                    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
                    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
                    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Working...
                    X