Co I, 4th Mississippi Cavalry photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co I, 4th Mississippi Cavalry photo?

Found this today at a friends house, as it is his great grandfather, Polk Talbert. Polk joined Co I, 4th Mississippi Cavalry in 1862. He was born in 1845, and back of picture is marked," me at 17, when I joined the Confederacy"
    Also, there is an original poem Polk wrote late in life titled: "Reflections on the life of an ex-Confederate Soldier" and a bullet mold for a pistol,

Is he wearing a Confederate sack/shell jacket? It seems to have cuff trim. Looks like 2 hole wood buttons.

Couldn't make out the backmark, and was only allowed to handle it briefly. Also got to copy a Confederate Reunion picture with him identified in the group.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Polk Talbert at 17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	231390

Virgil Roberts
    Last edited by 44th Miss Inf; 04-15-2015, 10:55 PM.
    Virgil Roberts

Re: Co I, 4th Mississippi Cavalry photo?

Interesting, there are no record on Fold3 or NPS records for Polk Talbert. However, I did find a muster roll for Stockdale's battalion with his name on it at https://www.gwest.org/stockdale.htm and a full history of Stockdale's Battalion and the 4th Miss. Cavalry at https://www.gwest.org/4thms.htm.

Thank you for sharing the image.
    Alan Thrower
    Member of The Company of Miltary Historians
    confederateuniforms.org
    pinterest.com/conun/the-battle-of-wilson-s-creek/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-uniforms-equipment/
    pinterest.com/conun/civil-war-zouaves/
    pinterest.com/conun/jeff-davis-and-the-south/
    pinterest.com/conun/confederate-generals-flags/
    pinterest.com/conun/3rd-louisiana-infantry-regiment/

Comment

If it's important enough, there is a reference here for Polk Talbert's veterans survey form at the MDAH Website. Maybe someone could view it to clarify.
      Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
      Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
      ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
      ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
      ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
      ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
      ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Thanks all. Was surprised to find the photo. I have a great deal of information on Polk's service from letters and diaries. He is also identified in some of the reunion photos. I've been collecting information on the men of Amite County, Mississippi that served for over 20 years and am still amazed at the things that turn up still. Maybe one day I will be able to tell their story somewhat.

I've never seen a coat with that cut on any of the other soldiers in uniform from the area is what got me curious.

Virgil Roberts
        Liberty, Miss
        Virgil Roberts

Comment

Virgil,

It could always be a homemade coat/jacket of some kind. The University of Mississippi has a homemade jacket from a member of the 3rd Mississippi Cavalry in it's collection.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Thanks Will,

I thought it might possibly be home made too, but I personally have never seen a homemade coat with different colored cuffs. Gives me something else to research.
            Is the UoM jacket accessible to look at?

Thanks again,
            Virgil Roberts
            Virgil Roberts

Comment

Homefront/commutation/personally acquired clothing, if that's even what we're seeing, often enough, was built with a concern for some sense of uniformity and considered the requests and agreed upon regulations of the regiment. The semi-regulation of rank trim was well established especially during the season of war this photo says it was taken. It makes sense the coat trim could be of a cavalry or regimental color (i.e. yellow or black or drab) according to the requirements from the front of the homefront. But yes it would be nice to see a fine surviving example that wasn't state or depot issue or a popular style suit of clothes ordered by a regimental sponsor.
              Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 04-18-2015, 01:09 PM.
              Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
              Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
              ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
              ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
              ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
              ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
              ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Will dig my of my gr gr great gandfather's letters out, as he mentions details for a coat to be made for him and sent up. He was older, and in 2nd Mississippi Infantry, Quinn's State Troops, stationed at Camp Milldale outside Vicksburg.

Maybe it will help shed some light.

Jon, I get up to the Lawrenceburg/Pulaski area quite a bit and have some friends in Columbia and Franklin. Also got kin buried at Franklin.

Virgil Roberts
                Virgil Roberts

Comment

Originally posted by PenPusher View Post
                  Interesting, there are no record on Fold3 or NPS records for Polk Talbert. However, I did find a muster roll for Stockdale's battalion with his name on it at https://www.gwest.org/stockdale.htm and a full history of Stockdale's Battalion and the 4th Miss. Cavalry at https://www.gwest.org/4thms.htm.

Thank you for sharing the image.
                  Great Image - And Talbert does have a service record on Fold3 - he is listed as P. Tolbert. His entire service record, however, is just one card - it states that he enlisted at Liberty, Mississippi in March 1864.

- - - Updated - - -

Virgil,
                  I had two G-G- Uncles in Stockdale's Cavalry - Drury C. Godwin and his younger brother, James Madison Godwin, both of whom lived in Amite County. Have you ever run across any information on them?

Thanks,

Jeff Giambrone
                  championhilz@att.net
                  J. Thomas Giambrone, Esq.

Have History Books, Will Travel.

Comment

Jeff,

Drury was in Company E, 22nd Mississippi Infantry, the "Liberty Guards" I have him wounded at Shiloh and transferring March 15, 1863.
                    James was a charter member of Tangipahoa Baptist Church in April, 1868

The kin I had in Co I, was Henry Nunnery, my 3rd great grandfather, and Adam Anders, a 3rd great grandmother's brother. All I have on Adam is died during the war, and in the old hand written records in the courthouse, postwar says "Killed by Gardner Sleeper"
                    Virgil Roberts

Comment

Virgil,

I haven't been to Ole Miss in years, so I'm not sure if the 3rd MS jacket is out or not, when it was, it was with the dress coat of Col. Green of the 11th MS infantry. The young man who owned the jacket was KIA near Atlanta in July 1864. He was from Lafayette County.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Working...
                      X