Capt. Victor Steven, 20th Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt. Victor Steven, 20th Illinois

There are several things that interested me about this picture. First, he appears to be wearing a variation of an Illinois State jacket as an officer’s uniform (see the thread “Spaulding jacket/Illinois Infantry Jackets” for another picture a member of the 20th Ill. in a state jacket; http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...=20th+Illinois). Second, he appears to be carrying a cavalry saber as a sidearm. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am on swords and sabers can confirm or deny. Third, can’t help but notice that stylish piece of headgear!

Capt. Stevens is noted twice in the ORs. The first time is when he, and the other company commanders, as well as the acting regimental commander, are all conspicuously absent when the regiment decided to ransack the sutlers’ stores (http://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/025/0350).

The second time was his death at the Battle of Raymond (http://ehistory.osu.edu/books/official-records/036/0706). He died leading a charge across Fourteenmile Creek.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cpt Victor Stevens - 20th Ill Inf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	231416
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Re: Capt. Victor Steven, 20th Illinois

Captain Steven is wearing a Scottish Tam O'Shanter. Very similar to the ones worn by the 12th Illinois Infantry (1st Scotch Regiment).

Below is a photograph of Captain Duncan McLean, 12th Illinois.
    Attached Files
    Adam Dintenfass

Comment

He wears a standard folded-leather officer's belt and the sword appears to be a 1850 Foot Officer sword. Not sure where the piping on the jacket is coming from...whether on the original uniform jacket or from retouching/tinting after the fact. Very unusual for an officer.
      Paul McKee

Comment

His jacket is very similar to the jackets worn by enlisted men in the 20th. Here's a picture of Asa Wilson from Company E. That's what made me wonder if he had a state jacket modified into an officer's uniform. And my apologies for the typo in the subject line. His last name is Stevens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Asa Wilson - 20th Illinois.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	224704
        Eric Paape
        Because the world needs
        one more aging reenactor

Comment

His sword is a Foot Officer's Model - I have actually held this sword - it was saved after Victor's death by his younger brother Howard, and his relatives still have the sword in their possession.
          J. Thomas Giambrone, Esq.

Have History Books, Will Travel.

Comment

Working...
          X