Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Long Sack Coat

Gents-

I came across this picture of a possible Iowa soldier with a 20 on his forage cap. An assumption based on the Davenport, Iowa photographer backmark. The item more of interest to me anyway is the apparently long version of a sack coat he is wearing. Not sure if it is a military version or not but it does seem to have brass buttons. I was wondering if it was a modified frock coat but I don't believe it is after looking at it closer. Anyone seen such a sack coat or have any information on them?
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Interesting Long Sack Coat

Hallo!

Not as nicely made, but here is Silas and Henry Blair of Company "D," 63rd OVI:

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Louis,

Not a modified frock, but a privately-purchased sack coat. Common with officers (who had to purchase their own clothing) and with reenlisted veterans who spent their bonus money on looking stylish while home on furlough.
      Paul McKee

Comment

Thanks for the examples/replies Curt and Paul.

The sack coats are remarkably similar. The forage cap looks pretty sharp too. He must have splurged on the coat and the cap!
        Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
        Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
        Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Curt,
          I think the Blair brothers, whose images you posted, are sharing a single commercial sack coat for their portraits. Compare the wrinkles and features, and they appear identical.
          Paul McKee

Comment

Hallo!

I pondered the same. :)

What "annoys" me, is that teh top button on Henry's blouse appears smaller as though it might be a cuff button pressed into duty in the moment. HOWEVER< it may just be a play of light and shadow.

What wants to push me over the edge... all things considered... is that they are the same blouse, as the lop-sided or asymmetrical lapels on both coats that appear to be the same as well. But then, the maker may have made the same mistake twice.

;) :)

c
            Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
              Curt,
              I think the Blair brothers, whose images you posted, are sharing a single commercial sack coat for their portraits. Compare the wrinkles and features, and they appear identical.
              I agree.

On the (gone, but not forgotten) SGLHA discussion boards, Skip Owens once posted a great series of photos of Confederate officers. The images are taken (I think) almost immediately post-war and all of them are wearing the exact same frock with colonel's insignia on the collar. The insignia placement, as well as some characteristic nuances of the coat clearly show that they are all sharing what is either a photographer's prop coat, or the coat of one of the men in the group.

Cool stuff!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Could be the same jacket, but when you look at the table legs in both pictures they are different. Why change the table that is covered by a cloth? Even the base boards ( or lack of ) are different. Makes me wonder if the same photographer took the photos. I am no expert, just see what I see!
                Don Woods
                Member ABT

Comment

Phillip Stephenson of the 5th Company Washington Artillery told the story that in 1865 in Mobile, his crew was down to a single red trimmed jacket. They took turns wearing it into town, even if it didn't fit well because every man wanted the women to see they he was an artilleryman. Several men in the company also got images struck while stationed there.
                  Pat Brown

Comment

Point of clarification- Tailors in their cutting manuals are still calling these coats "paletot". A paletot is defined by solid front body pieces (without seams at the waist) and a fit slightly looser than a frock. This style of coat had been popular as sportswear for some years previous to The War and is a logical choice for officers wanting a less fitted coat for active duty. In the War Years and immediate Post-War Years these paletots begin showing up for business-wear among the young and middle fellows (when formality of occasion didn't demand a frock).
                    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Gents-

Found another long sack coat image or possibly a "paletot" as Madam Kessinger put forward. Note the same three pockets and the signal corp badge on the breast.

Where it was found;

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Cumpston1862; 09-17-2015, 11:36 PM. Reason: Additional information
                      Louis Zenti

Comment

Just my two cents on this last image and I am no professional by any means. But it looks to me as if this coat is just too large for the man wearing it if you look at how much the sleeves are pulled up and position of the pockets and how the coat hangs on his shoulders and neck even how his arms are positioned so the sleeves do not fall. As I said I maybe completely wrong on this just my observation.
                        Ross Taylor.

Comment

Yeah, that's no paletot... its almost a feed sack. A paletot was a fashionable civilian garment and was not intended to be a loose fitting item like that. This last photo is a sack coat, privately purchased, but made for military customers. They were worn by enlisted and officers alike, thought the quality of tailoring varied greatly, from loose fitting sacks like this, to finely tailored coats with velvet trim.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

And either his legs are different lengths, or he should ask for a refund on his trowser cuff work. :) :)

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Hahaha I was so focused on the coat I missed the pants all together lol
                              Ross Taylor.

Comment

Working...
                              X