The Frack Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Frack Coat

I found the button arrangement on this coat interesting. The style of a frock with the ease of a sack. Simply remove 5 of your 9 buttons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Geer, Allen Morgan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	231455
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Re: The Frack Coat

Looks like a poker game gone wrong! :)

Great image. Any idea of who it is or what regiment?
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Allen Morgan Geer, Co. C, 20th Illinois.

His diary makes several references to men from the regiment getting their pictures taken in June of 1861 shortly after they mustered in. However, I find it hard to believe that a soldier could get away with his buttons like that at that stage of the war, unless there was a severe button shortage with the rush of recruits at the outbreak.:)

I just started reading his diary. If there are any more clues as to when this may have been taken, I'll update this post.
      Last edited by Palmyra Possum; 10-06-2015, 12:30 PM. Reason: Last name: Geer, not Greer
      Eric Paape
      Because the world needs
      one more aging reenactor

Comment

Quite an interesting hybrid, looks like the buttons were removed, seeing all the button holes present, which goes against any argument that it was issued in such a state. Speaking to the "ease of the sack", thought I should add that I can't remember the last time I buttoned all 4 buttons on my coat. Maybe I'm just that lazy, I don't know.
        Ryan Schuda
        Co. C, 45th IL / Co. G, 15th TN
        Dirty First Mess

Comment

Re: The Frock Coat

Okay, I finished the diary. There are several different times he mentions photos being taken. The Regiment was sworn into service on June 9, 1861. A few days later, Allen Geer wrote about members of the regiment going into town to have pictures taken to send home. He mentions this happening on June 14, 15 and 17. Like I said above, I find it hard to believe that a soldier could get away with wearing his coat in this manner so early on in the war.

On September 22, 1862, he wrote that he had an ambrotype taken of himself, which he sent to his mother. However, the day before, he commented that he was "shaved in the Burnside style," which seems to preclude this being that picture.

On January 30, 1863, he wrote that many soldiers had pictures taken to send home, but does not say if one was himself.

On September 25, 1863, he describes his picture being taken in a wonderfully understated diary entry:

Fri. Sept 25 Worked some in the Orderlys office on clothing lists. Went to town with J.B. Had our photographs taken at Dixon & Parets. Canvassed the town for sights. Went to the St. Louis theatre with Ed. Grand performance Chimney Corner. Ended in a guard house tragedy. Marked a Sergt. Of the 1st Nebraska. Spent a miserable night in the city.
          Because everyone decks a sergeant at the end of the play!

I find the last one to be the most likely possibility. He later mentions having 12 copies of the picture made, several of which he sent home to different people, increasing the chance of its survival. Also, Geer had been wounded at the Battle of Raymond. While in the hospital, he and the rest of the hospital were captured by Confederates. He is paroled and sent back to Benton Barracks, St. Louis, to bide his time with a bunch of other paroled soldiers, awaiting exchange. It seems like a ripe opportunity for a lack of military discipline. Probably the next most likely date of the picture is January 30, 1863.

Source: Geer, Allen Morgan. The Civil War Diary of Allen Morgan Geer, Twentieth Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, edited by Mary Ann Andersen. Denver: R. C. Appleman, 1977

Hey, who changed the name of my thread?
          Eric Paape
          Because the world needs
          one more aging reenactor

Comment

Working...
          X