Clear All

• Robert Holman, 14th Tennessee

Stumbled across this picture recently:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Holman, Robert B - 14th Tenn Co C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	231924

It is reportedly of Robert Holman, 14th Tennessee, taken in May of 1861. That would put it right at the formation of the 14th and before its first issue of uniforms.

I was caught off guard by the weapon he is holding. From what I know about the 14th, at this time it would most likely be a flintlock, converted to percussion; probably a M1816/22. However, the rear sight and the contrast between the barrel and the bands are throwing me off. It appears it may be a M1841 rifle (I wish just a couple more inches of barrel were showing). I'm hoping someone who is better at IDing weapons can help me out.

If it is a Mississippi, that would be highly unusual for the 14th. I am not aware of any documentation of them carrying them. The 7th, yes, but not the 14th.
    Eric Paape
    Because the world needs
    one more aging reenactor

Re: Robert Holman, 14th Tennessee

Sure looks like a M1841 to me. The giveaway is the notch rear sight plus military style barrel bands.

You never know about these images though...it could just as easily be a photographer's prop.
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Re: Robert Holman, 14th Tennessee

I agree with Joe, It has the look of a Mississippi look above his thumb in the photo the stock appears to be "flat" a common trait of these rifle's
      Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

Working...
      X