Wearing sword belt under an open coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing sword belt under an open coat

I recently was perusing a bunch of colorized images. I began to notice something I hadn't noticed before and that was officers wearing their sword belts (and sword) under their coat (with the coat open). I first noticed it in this photo on the gentlemen on the far right. Click image for larger version

Name:	Far right.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	232001

Then I was able to quickly find it again here with these 4 cavalry officers are all wearing their belt in the same manner.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4th Pennsylvania Cavalry.jpg
Size:	841.1 KB
ID:	231998

Then there is this image of 4 generals with two wearing the belt in this manner.

Name:	4 Generals.jpg
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	231999

Here again, 2 more with their belts under their coats (circled by me in red) and you can see the swords coming from beneath their coat tails.

Name:	Lincoln.png
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	232000

Having not noticed this before I now am questioning "why are they wearing their sword and belt in such a manner". After a brief search, I am not finding textual references to this, but thought I would put it out here. Has anyone encountered this in their research?

I would suppose that it could be warm and the coat is being worn open as a means of temperature regulation causing the sword and belt to be worn underneath the coat. At first I thought that it was a practical and definitely casual method of dress, but then seeing the general and field officer with Lincoln dressed in the same manner, I hesitate to dismiss this as a causal or practical state of undress.

Humbly,
    Nathan
    [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
    1st MN Vol. Inf.

Re: Wearing sword belt under an open coat

No pun intended, but it may have just been an attempt at a cavalier look. Intentional but not necessarily casual. I do think comfort may have been a factor but a small one if at all.
    I've never read anything by anyone who did this, nor read of anyone describing this practice.
    Rob Warren
    GySgt 2d MarDiv

Comment

That's an interesting point that I really never noticed myself. The main thing in common is that all these photos are in-camp photos and look rather casual in nature - even the one with Lincoln. I would be curious as to how many photos exist of officers in formation or on duty where they have their belts beneath their coats.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Interesting indeed! It made me start looking through photos. I did find one of Grant and it appears he has his on under his coat.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I read an interview with Winfield Scott Hancock by an artist making a statue of him and he told the artist that on Jul 3 1863, he was wearing his sword belt under his jacket, jacket open and wearing brogans with russet leather leggings. Very different from the actor's portrayal in the movie! The inference I got was that due to the heat, he was wearing his coat open.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Frank, thanks for sharing that tidbit. I'll keep my eyes open for more references/photos from now on. I am guessing I'll start to see it more due to the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

Others, if you see something, say something. Or one better, post the pic or reference. Thanks!
            [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
            1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

Seems like a practical thing to do regarding the heat...
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

The Artist was James Kelly who interviewed a large number of Union Generals in preparations for making statues, the book is "Generals in Bronze: Interviewing the Commanders of the Civil War"
                Frank Siltman
                24th Mo Vol Inf
                Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                Company of Military Historians
                Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                X