36th Photos Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36th Photos Needed

My pards and I are looking to put together a late war (Shenandoah 64) 36th Ohio impression. I have had a hard time finding photographic evidence of their uniform. If anyone has any photos of this unit, early or late, I would really appreciate if you'd share it.

Thank you very much.

V/r,

Dylan Caudill
    Dylan Caudill

Re: 36th Photos Needed

Have you looked at the book, Another Day in Lincoln's Army, the Civil War Journal of SGT John T. Booth? While most of the pictures in it are of officers, there are two pictures of enlisted soldiers. One is of Thomas Stanley wearing a state jacket with light blue trowsers and a military style, dark blue vest. There's no hat present. The caption suggests it was taken sometime between 1862 and 1864. There's also a picture of Booth wearing a four button blouse that is extremely long - as in frock coat length - and is an early war picture. He's wearing dark blue trowsers and has a civilian style hat. In terms of weapons, it seems that the entire regiment received Enfields in October 1861. That's rather unusual, but tracks with some of the state QMG records.

I hope this helps a bit.

Jim
    James Brenner

Comment

Hi Dylan,
      There is one authority on the 36th Ohio; Larry Strayer. He is on facebook, but has dropped off my grid in recent months. In told, I believe he has somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 images of various unit members (including some duplicates). I actually just sold him 10 images of 36th OVI guys recently.
      36th OVI Link

I would recommend Crook's Regulars for a regimental.

For starters though, this will be your best link: Ohio Memory
      Mark Krausz
      William L. Campbell
      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
      Old Northwest Volunteers
      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Thank you gentlemen I appreciate all of the help.

V/r,

Dylan Caudill
        Dylan Caudill

Comment

Dylan,
          My GG-Grandpa Ezra Walker was in Co. G. If you come across anything concerning him would you please be so kind as to let me know. Thanks.
          Paul Wolbeck, Captain
          33rd AL Inf

Pvt. Ezra Walker
          36th OH, Co G Salem Light Guard

Comment

Paul,

John Booth was in Company G. I don't know if he mentions your GG-Grandfather by name in the book, but there might be something in it. If nothing else, at least the book will give you a decent history of Company G's activities; it's 694 pages.

Jim
            James Brenner

Comment

Working...
            X