Prisoner photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoner photos?

Are there any photos known of CS prisoners or dead during the seven days campaign?

Re: Prisoner photos?

Here is a description from around that time that may be of interest:

Prisoners of Branch’s NC Brigade taken at Hanover C.H., VA, June 1862:
    “The scene within [the prisoner’s compound] . . . reminded me of the witch-scene in Macbeth, or pictures of brigands or Bohemian gypsies at rendezvous, not less than five hundred men, in motley, ragged costumes, with long hair, and lean, wild, haggard, faces . . . Some were wrapped in blankets of rag-carpet, and others wore shoes of rough untanned hide . . . Some appeared in red shirts, some in stiff beaver hats; some were attired in shreds and patches of cloth; and a few wore the soiled garments of citizen gentlemen; but the mass adhered to homespun suits of gray, or “butternut,” and the coarse blue kersey common to slaves . . . They came from North Carolina . . . In a corner, lying morosely apart were a Major, three Captains, and three Lieutenants, - young athletic fellows, dressed in gray cassimere, trimmed with black, and wearing soft black hats adorned with black ostrich - feathers. Their spurs were strapped upon elegantly fitting boots, and they looked as far above needy seedy privates, as lords above their vassals.”
    George A. Townsend, Campaigns of a Non-Combatant, pp. 104-105
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
    X