Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• image of an original Faro card array?

Pards,

I'm looking for an image of a period Faro setup. Meaning the card array upon which players would place their bets. Ideally it would be a gum blanket reverse painted with the card array, but images of any homemade version would be most appreciated. There is a diagram in Hoyles (1864) that I can use, but I'd love a documented image to work from. If I'm going to take all my pards' money at Fort Gibson next month I'd at least like them to see a nice setup.

Regards,
    James Beck
    24th Missouri
    James Beck

Re: image of an original Faro card array?

I love this game, and have been trying to get a game together for years. I've done some reading on the subject, but I haven't run across anything showing how they played the game on the field. I did run across a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwo4r0LR7k), but I do not know their source. It does make sense to paint the layout on the a gum blanket, but I think they most likely would have used paper to record the cards rather than a casekeep.

Very interested in seeing what other keep can come up with as far as images go.
    Captain Matthew Joe Mallory
    Co E, 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment
    Co E, 73rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Re: image of an original Faro card array?

Faro set ups were not commercially sold or made on gum blankets. Most boards I know of are green felt with cards either painted or glued on. Traveling boards are hinged. The "Suicide Table" in Virginia City was built as a table.
      The Autry collection has a roulette wheel and painted oil cloth board that dates to the 1860's. (No makers markers visible.)
      Andrew Grim
      The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
      x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
      Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
      Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Working...
      X