Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting photo on 47th AL soldier.

Hey Guys,

A distant relative posted this pic of a relative of the 47th AL Infantry. This might not be a big deal to you guys, but I thought the corduroy vest under the shell jacket was kinda neat, along with the tie. Very spiffy looking. Also, noted the cuffs appear to have blue or is it black trim? Can't tell if the collar does. Also appears to be a ring on his little finger resting on the table. All in all an interesting pic to me. Soldier identified as Wiley David Crenshaw 1833-1864.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiley David Crenshaw 1833-1864 47th alabama inf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	232512
    Randy Gann
    In Memory of my GGG Grandfather, Pvt. James E. Gann, Vaughn's - 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. In service before Manassas, passed from Smallpox at Vicksburg, 11 April 1863. Left a young wife and several children.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families, Past and
    Present !

DEO VINDICE

Re: Interesting photo on 47th AL soldier.

Randy,

Thanks for posting the photo. Re: Your observation on the soldier's ring... most of the NC soldiers pictured in Greg Mast's STATE TROOPS wore their rings on the little finger, as well. Perhaps that was the convention in c. 1861-62? In any event, they vary more or less equally between left and right hand.

Mark R. Wenger
    Williamsburg, VA
    Mark Wenger

Comment

Thanks Mark, interesting observation.
      Randy Gann
      In Memory of my GGG Grandfather, Pvt. James E. Gann, Vaughn's - 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. In service before Manassas, passed from Smallpox at Vicksburg, 11 April 1863. Left a young wife and several children.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families, Past and
      Present !

DEO VINDICE

Comment

Randy, Thanks for posting this pic! the jacket appears to be a Columbus Depot but the collar and cuff trim is very dark compared to other period photos I've seen of these jackets. Upon further inspection there seems to be an exterior left breast pocket about the 3rd. button hole from the top and that would have been a type 2 version unless that is a fold, wrinkle or crease in the fabric due to his seated pose.
        Thanks,

Chad Phillips

Comment

I doubt it is a CD jacket due to the very dark color and cuffs - would appear to be black. Comparing it to photos of known CD jackets really show a contrast. The 47th fought with the ANV, further making me doubt it is a CD, though some troops did get them. Very cool photo worth some research and checking other photos of the unit. Love the vest!
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
          X