Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying the Time Period of This Pic Based on Civilian Clothing

Hey Guys,

Attached is a pic of my GGG Grandfather who passed away at Vicksburg. He is pictured beside his wife with young son on his lap. Her two sisters are behind her. Looking at the list of Children he had, and guessing the age of the child on his lap, I'm thinking this pic is circa 1858. Does that look like the right time period to you guys that do civilian impressions? Mainly, I'm trying to verify this is a pre war pic.

Thanks!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	James E Gann family portrait.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	232513
    Randy Gann
    In Memory of my GGG Grandfather, Pvt. James E. Gann, Vaughn's - 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. In service before Manassas, passed from Smallpox at Vicksburg, 11 April 1863. Left a young wife and several children.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families, Past and
    Present !

DEO VINDICE

Re: Looking for help identifying the time period of this pic based on Civilian clothing.

Hallo!

IMHO...

The narrow waist, tight forearms, and "mutton chop' style upper sleeve puts the image roughly 1890-1900.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Looking for help identifying the time period of this pic based on Civilian clothing.

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
      Hallo!

IMHO...

The narrow waist, tight forearms, and "mutton chop' style upper sleeve puts the image roughly 1890-1900.

Curt
      Thanks Curt. I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not an expert on that era clothing.
      Randy Gann
      In Memory of my GGG Grandfather, Pvt. James E. Gann, Vaughn's - 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry. In service before Manassas, passed from Smallpox at Vicksburg, 11 April 1863. Left a young wife and several children.

Present !

DEO VINDICE

Comment

Could that be another ancestor of yours?
        Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Originally posted by MuleyGil View Post
          Could that be another ancestor of yours?
          It's a family photo, so I'm thinking it is, just mis-identified. When I look at the gentleman in the pic he has my Granddad's eyes. So, I'm thinking he's some kind of family.
          Randy Gann

Present !

DEO VINDICE

Comment

Hallo!

Do you have the identities for the five as to the possible age and what their ages would be in relationship to each other at a time the image may have been taken?

I would suspect the seated couple are the adult parents with two daughters behind. And possibly the baby is theirs or a grandchild of one or the other daughters but a father would be missing (died, killed, etc.)

Ages can be deceiving. My grandfather was the last of 10 children and the seventh and last son. His mom was 41 when he was born.

We have a box of old family images going back to the CW era by the fashions. But, as is the curse of so many paper images and now cyber images they were not labelled or named because the original owners/family members KNEW who they were.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X