Interesting Fed Inf. Picture: 3rd Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Fed Inf. Picture: 3rd Maryland

I found this photograph on the LOC web site, and thought it might generate some interesting discussion.

The time and place of the photograph are unknown; all that we do know is that it is credited to members of the 3rd Maryland, and that the fellow in his white shirt on the left is private William T. Carter.

This photograph appears to have been taken in camp as evidenced by what appears to be earth beneath them, and perhaps was posed in front of a tent wall. Some of the aspects that I liked the most are:

- All of the men have very short haircuts and minimal or no facial hair.
    - Eagle plates on box slings are the exception, not the rule in this sample.
    - The corporal on the right appears to have a different issue or privately purchased cap than the privates on his left. His bill is much more squared.
    - The corporal also appears to be wearing high boots under his pants.
    - It may be a problem with the perspective of the image, but it looks like these men may be carrying two band weapons.
    - The poor boy in the middle either has a very dirty face, horrible pimples, or both.
    - The private on the left certainly doesn't mind having his likeness struck without his jacket on. His pards seemed to think it proper to wear theirs, but he didn't. If this man were to wander into a reenactment via a time warp, would he be laughed off the field by "progressives" and hardcores?"

I am interested to hear when you all think this photograph was taken. I would guess 63 or later. Any 3rd Maryland scholars on the board?

Thanks,

-Tad
    Attached Files
    Tad Salyards
    Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Re: Interesting Fed Inf. Picture: 3rd Maryland

Thanks for posting this. It is one of my favorites.

- The poor boy in the middle either has a very dirty face, horrible pimples, or both. More likely a sunburn. Shades of red often show up rather dark in period images..

- It may be a problem with the perspective of the image, but it looks like these men may be carrying two band weapons. They are U.S. 1842 muskets.

- The private on the left certainly doesn't mind having his likeness struck without his jacket on. His pards seemed to think it proper to wear theirs, but he didn't. There are plenty of photos of men with only their shirts. He may have posed jacketless in this photo to show off the big hole in his left sleeve

-If this man were to wander into a reenactment via a time warp, would he be laughed off the field by "progressives" and hardcores?" Why would they be. I wish more guys had that good of an impression.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 06-02-2004, 03:15 PM.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
    X