New Yorkers on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yorkers on eBay

There is a spectacular identified image of several 118th NYV on ebay worth a look.

Steve Sullivan
    46th Illinois
    Co. Mil. Hist.

Re: New Yorkers on eBay

Enfields, dark blue pants, only two cap boxes worn, wonderfully candid for the time...note the kibitzer playing pocket pool to the right of the group, and another perhaps laying in on the left flank. And a mere $1000.00 would claim it!
    Steve Sullivan
    46th Illinois
    Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

There is a nice picture of that same Regt.'s color guard taken after the war in Union Echo's of Glory.
      Kindest Regards;
      Harold Adams
      Co. F, 48th NYVI
      "On occupation duty in Florida"

Here we are, some with whole skins, and some not so whole. Others have been left behind. For myself, I can only wonder if there is a bone left in my carcass when I think of the wholesale carnage through which I have passed. My bruises are inward.
      Pvt. J. Haley, Co I, 17th Maine Vols., 9 June 1865

Comment

Originally posted by rogue
        Enfields, dark blue pants, only two cap boxes worn, wonderfully candid for the time...note the kibitzer playing pocket pool to the right of the group, and another perhaps laying in on the left flank. And a mere $1000.00 would claim it!
        Steve Sullivan
        46th Illinois
        Co. Mil. Hist.
        Yes, I love this one too. Ebay might only be useful to us for this matter! :angry_smi We, as reenactors, can base a ton of information on this picture: uniform correctness, how to wear uniform properly, gear research, etc.

I noticed the periodical they're reading was entitled, "The __ Flute(sic) of Zion?" Couldn't find anything in Google about "Flute/Jute of Zion." But maybe it's referring to Revival melodies, or songs of Zion by John Putnam, 1842. Can anyone else comment on this book?

Regards,
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Did anyone notice the two soldiers who look alike in this image? Are they possibly brothers?
          Bob Lockman
          Sgt. Clownie:eek:
          1st MN. Vol. Inf

Comment

Looks like 3,000 plus was the winner.
            William Lee Vanderburg
            26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
            Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

Here's what the book is:

Woodbury, I. B.. The New Lute of Zion: A Collection of Sacred Music, Designed for the use of Congregations Generally. New York: Nelson and Phillips, 1856. over 6¾" - 7¾" tall. Hard Cover. 366 pages
              William Lee Vanderburg
              26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
              Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

Originally posted by Army30th
                Here's what the book is:

Woodbury, I. B.. The New Lute of Zion: A Collection of Sacred Music, Designed for the use of Congregations Generally. New York: Nelson and Phillips, 1856. over 6¾" - 7¾" tall. Hard Cover. 366 pages
                Mr. Bowers,

Wonderful! Nice job on the find!

Jason
                Jason C. Spellman
                Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
                X