"Napoleonic Squares"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Napoleonic Squares"

I would like to talk with my students about this form of defense against Cavalry, which, while mostly outmoded by the time of the war, was still practiced. However, I cannot locate an image of a regiment performing this that I can use in class. I thought a while back that there was one here on the fora, but cannot find it.

Any help?

Thanks.
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Re: "Napoleonic Squares"

Mr. Hubbard,

I do not have a copy of the picture on hand, but i believe the one you are thinking of is in "Fighting Men of the Civil War" by William C Davis (i have the soft cover version of the book and it is on page 39. The section is "Drill Drill & More Drill"). Unfortunatly the source was listed as unavailable. If you dont already have that book, you might be able to pick it up from a local library.

Chase Pinkham

Comment

Absolutely. I have it. Thanks for the mental prompt. Very much obliged.
      ~ Chris Hubbard
      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

And they were still used! The German 32nd Indiana has used this at Rowletts Station against the Texas Rangers, with success!
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Minieball577 View Post
          I would like to talk with my students about this form of defense against Cavalry, which, while mostly outmoded by the time of the war, was still practiced. However, I cannot locate an image of a regiment performing this that I can use in class. I thought a while back that there was one here on the fora, but cannot find it.

Any help?

Thanks.
          Try this image, which was taken from one of the illustrated weeklies (I'm working from memory, but I think it comes from a January 1862 number of "Leslie's"). If you need more detail, go to View>Zoom and bump it up to 150-200%. Company G, under Captain Joseph Welschbillig, definitely formed square and is mentioned as doing such in post-battle reports.

Needless to say, much creative license has been taken with this woodcut, but it's still a very nice, and reasonably accurate depiction.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
          X