Returning to quality discussions...one of my favorite images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to quality discussions...one of my favorite images

This is one of my favorite images. Yes it is Major General Rufus Ingalls, theater quartermaster on the staff of Lt. General U.S. Grant driving a black boy in a carriage. The roles are certainly reversed. The image was taken at City Point, Virginia. The dog is Rufus Ingalls' dalmation.

Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Re: Returning to quality discussions...one of my favorite images

So, this has me very curious! Are there any notes of the circumstances of the image? Why is the little boy riding? I can see why it's a favorite--what a great image!
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

No Liz, no circumstances as to why and I don't know Ingalls reasons for continuing in the military during the war other than his entire adult life spent in its service.

Nevertheless, it is a neat image.
      Sincerely,
      Emmanuel Dabney
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Der E . ,
        Thank you for your continuing superb scholarship !
        Merry Christmas ,
        David Corbett
        Dave Corbett

Comment

Those horses are in top condition, well fed and obiously well groomed. It also appears they were shod not to long before the photo was taken. The care taker for these horses treated them well.

great photo!
          Paul "Curly" Richardson
          9th Ky Cavalry CSA

Comment

Working...
          X