17th Maine on May 3rd, 1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17th Maine on May 3rd, 1864

For anyone interested, I found an image of the 17th Maine taken on May 3rd, 1864.

The 17th Maine Infantry is pictured on May 3, 1864, with some of the men identified. The photo was taken in Northern Virginia on the day the regiment broke camp to begin its summer campaign. At left is the regimental band. The named soldiers, with lines drawn from their names to them are, from left, Sgt. Charles R. Todd, holding the flag; Surgeon Nahum A. Hersom of Sanford, Lt. George A. Whidden of Westbrook, Co. I; Lt. Wellington Hobbs of Norway, Co. H; Capt. Joseph A. Perry of Portland, Co. F; Sgt. J.M. Hall, Co. F; Lt. Henry L. Bartels of Portland, Co. F; Capt. Sumner S. Richards of Saco, Co. K.; Lt. Benjamin Doe of South Berwick, Co. K; Lt. Franklin C. Adams of Saco, Co. K; Lt. Granville F. Sparrow of Portland, Co. B; Lt. James S. Roberts of Portland, Co. A; Lt. Robert H. Mathes of Durham, N.H., Co. A; Lt. William H. Sturgis of Standish, Co. C; Lt. Frederick A. Sawyer of Portland, Co. E; Lt. Charles C. Cole of Hiram, Co. E; Capt. William H. Green of Portland, Co. G; Lt. Gustavus C. Pratt of Oxford, Co. D; and Lt. Stephen Graffam of Portland, Co. D. In the front is Col. George Warren West of Portland. Also named, but without lines indicating their positions are Chaplain J.F. Lovering of Portland, Capt. John C. Perry of Portland, Co D, acting field officer; Capt. George W. Verrill of Norway, Co. E, acting adjutant; and Asst. Surgeon Nathaniel B. Coleman of Portland. Col. West, whose home in Portland is now the Children's Museum, suffered a number of serious injuries during the Wilderness battle.

Only days after this was taken, the 17th marched into the Wilderness with 462 men and marched out with 246.
    Bill Backus

Re: 17th Maine on May 3rd, 1864

Can anyone tell what Corps badges they are wearing? I cannot tell, and wonder if they have any on at all, as I cannot see any on the officers. I ask because the 17th ME began life in the 3rd Corps and then was consolidated in with the 2nd Corps for the Spring campaign. Many units of the old 1st and 3rd Corps were not happy about losing the lozenge and the diamond. We are considering using the 17th ME as one of the guiding impressions for the Wilderness NPS Living History event and it might be an interesting story to know what badge they were wearing in this photo.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

A couple of those officers do not appear to be wearing any rank insignia. There's one to the right of the O.D.(our left) and one to the left of who appears to be the commanding officer(our right).
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
      Past President Potomac Legion
      Long time member Columbia Rifles
      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

To respond to Doug Cooper's corps badge question, there is a photo of Corporal Octavius C. Ingraham of Company A taken on March 3, 1864 which clearly shows a large cloth 3rd Corps diamond still being worn on his cap. This photo is in William B. Jordan's "Red Diamond Regiment. Ingraham was killed at Spotsylvania.

Also from OR Series I, Vol. 33, pp. 722-723, General Orders #10, March 24, 1864:" The First and Second Divisions of the Third Corps are transferred to the Second Corps, preserving their badges and distinctive marks . . . "
        Last edited by roundshot; 12-29-2006, 12:19 PM. Reason: quote added
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
        X