Napoleon Wannabees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleon Wannabees?

These yanks provide us with two variations of the "Little Emperor's" classic pose: One is quite acceptable but the other falls a little short. From the LOC collections.
    Last edited by roundshot; 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: Napoleon Wannabees?

Mounted pants on the fellow on the right, what is the shield on his arm?
    Steve Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
      Mounted pants on the fellow on the right, what is the shield on his arm?
      Could it be some type of private purchase signal corps badge? The officer to his right certainly appears to have the signal corps badge attached to his cap.

Eric
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

These guys all appear to have mounted trousers - note the seams. Great shot of the Infantry Uniform Jacket as well...aka Signal Corps Jacket (see EoG). Outstanding photos!
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I believe Signal Corps. Here's the entire cast. The other "Napoleon" is serving in the siege parallels of Morris Island.
          Last edited by roundshot; 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

The soldier at far left also appears to have a signal corps insignia on his upper right arm, but it is slightly blurred due to his movement.
            [B]Bill Carey[/B]
            [I]He is out of bounds now. He rejoices in man's lovely,
            peculiar power to choose life and die—
            when he leads his black soldiers to death,
            he cannot bend his back. [/I] - Robet Lowell, [I]For the Union Dead[/I]

Comment

Perhaps the man in the first photo is doing some "skirmishing"? :D
              [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

He looks more like an Al Bundy wannabe.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                  He looks more like an Al Bundy wannabe.
                  I was going to suggest that he looks like he's about ready to sit down in front of the tube and crack a beer!:D
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

What is come out from around the neck on the guy third from the left? Also is that velvet on the collar of the guy on the far right.

Chris Lane
                    37th TN
                    Chris Lane
                    37th Tennessee
                    [URL="http://www.6thcavalrymuseum.com"]6th Cavalry Museum[/URL]

"It'a a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."
                    Ulysses Everett McGill

Comment

Originally posted by clane64 View Post
                      What is come out from around the neck on the guy third from the left? Also is that velvet on the collar of the guy on the far right.

Chris Lane
                      37th TN
                      It appears to be the end of the man's cravat. You are right about the collar, when you compare the collar of the man all the way on the right with the other jackets and the tone of the shadows in the photograph it does seem that his collar is much darker.

Regards
                      -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                      93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                      [I]
                      "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                      [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

the guy on the right is wearing that belt super low. Like that would be a modern style.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I]
                        Cadet Ross Hussmann
                        VMI 2010
                        PVT. 5th Michigan Company K Saginw City Light Infantry
                        [/I][/FONT]

Comment

The greater community of Napoleon scholars some time ago demonstrated that the "Napoleon" pose was in fact a rather common posture for portraits dating from before Napoleon - though he certainly is the most well known exemplair.

I thought it interesting as well to see the variations in the buttoning of the coats - at least one and possibly two with only the topmost button fastened, one with the top four buttons fastened - and so on. It might also suggest that if you wore a waistcoat, you were allowed a little more leeway on this point. But I suspect the critical element on this issue also was where you were at the time, what were you doing, and were there any ladies present or in the near vicinity. Things might have been a bit more relaxed when it was 'just the guys.'

Robert A. Mosher

Comment

Is it just me or is the gentleman who is exploring his nether regions wearing his forage cap backwards?

Chase Pinkham

Comment

it looks like it may be ,hand in pants and hat backwords i bet if you had sound to the pic it there would probly hear rap music playing in his cabin.lol

Russell Huffman
                              Russell Huffman
                              1st kentucky cavalry & horse artillery
                              Co.B (Postillion & outrider )

Comment

Working...
                              X