Prisoners at point lookout taking the oath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoners at point lookout taking the oath

I've never seen this image before. The uniforms, equipment (what little there is), and hairstyles are interesting.~Gary

Here's the link for those wanting more information.

Attached Files
    Last edited by garyjd; 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM.
    Gary Dombrowski
    [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Re: Prisoners at point lookout taking the oath

Hi Gary,

Yes, it's a great image, which was extensively discussed in a previous thread a couple of years ago. You might want to use your "Search" function to see if you can pull up the original comments on this photo.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark, I did not think to use the search function when I found the image.~Gary
      Gary Dombrowski
      [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

I had an ancestor at Point Lookout and that photo is really neat.

Matt
        Matthew Thompson

Comment

I tried the search function, but didn't come up with anything - sooooo I guess we'll have to talk about it again! Darn! :D
          What's going on in this picture? It looks like the prisoners are gathered together before some kind of commission, beneath a large flag, hung like a canopy. There is gear piled in front of them. In the center back they're clasping hands. Are they newly interned? Are they taking the oath for parole before going home? The prisoners themselves also look very neat, like this is a gathering that they've had some time for which to prepare.
          Rob Weaver
          Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
          "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
          [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

If I remember from the original long discussion (and period photo description), this group is among the last or the last to take the oath prior to departing for the south and home after the war. I believe the date on the photo is late May or early June 1865.

The detail is amazing when you blow it up.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Gary,

How did you run your search on the LOC site for that image? I've tried a bunch of things, and it doesn't seem to like me!

Thanks!

Nevermind! I found it! *Sigh* I wish they had the glass plate negative!
              Last edited by ThehosGendar; 04-16-2007, 09:00 PM. Reason: I = Moron.
              Jason R. Wickersty
              http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
              Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
              Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
              Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
              Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

I couldn't pull up anything with the search engine, either. Maybe it was lost in the last crash.

Rob, I believe if you look closer the men appear to have their right hands on an object, probably a Bible, since they are taking an oath.

VERY interesting photo.
                Last edited by GermanDraftee; 04-18-2007, 12:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
                [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

I had two direct ancestors at Point Lookout, and one never seen an image of, thanks so much for posting this image.
                  Jennifer T Wisener
                  Tarheel Civilians

Comment

I am not sure these men are taking the Oath. Looks like preparation for the conclusion of Sunday school class with a hand holding prayer. They could be Methodists.
                    Joe Allport
                    Co. F, 1st TX Inf.
                    Texas Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by FrogHunter View Post
                      I am not sure these men are taking the Oath. Looks like preparation for the conclusion of Sunday school class with a hand holding prayer. They could be Methodists.
                      I kind of thought the same thing, looked more like a prayer service.
                      Jim Clark

Comment

Nope, as the description says they are taking the oath at Point Lookout. Whether this is prior to being sent home or perhaps joining federal service, I cannot remember from the initial AC discussion. Note the federal officers, clerks, etc. The full description is out there somewhere, but the basic description has them taking the oath in May 1865 at Point Lookout.

Even Methodists don't bring their blanket rolls, knapsacks and haversacks to church, and they normally don't have 4 men to a Bible.

Note also that they appear to be measuring the height of a man to the far right - perhaps prepatory to enlisting for the enlistment form?
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

"Even Methodists don't bring their blanket rolls, knapsacks and haversacks to church, and they normally don't have 4 men to a Bible."

I concur and amend my observation. Having been a Methodist all my life, I have never seen anyone bring a blanket roll to church on Sunday. Although our pews tend to average 4 people per bible and the gear would have been appropriate for a Revival.

Just wishful thinking on my part.
                          Joe Allport
                          Co. F, 1st TX Inf.
                          Texas Brigade

Comment

Wow! I just bumped into this thread by accident, and what a cool picture! I had 1 direct ancestor at Point Lookout in May and he took his oath there on 27 June, 1865, and was given train transport back to Nashville leaving Point Lookout on 28 June. I have to imagine his oath ceremony was like this one, maybe at the same spot. Wonder if he is in the picture? Thanks for posting it. I haven't figured out all the tricks to the board, so is there a way to direct me to the previous thread y'all are talking about?

Todd Watts

Comment

I don't think they are holding hands, but placing hands on a Bible. Looks like not enough Bibles to go around, so they had to share. Notice only right hands are extended.
                              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
                              [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
                              William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

Working...
                              X