• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd KY Cav

Freeman F. Runyon
    3rd KY Cav. Co G

ebay # 3267289443

Company G of the 3rd Ky Cav was a prolific group of mis-guided Kentuckians, here is a brief look at them: Twyman’s Independent Company of Scouts. In connection with the 3d Cavalry mention should be made of Capt. Henry G. Twyman’s independent company of scouts, which served as an independent organization from 1861 to July, 1863, when it was consolidated with Company G, 3d Ky. Cavalry. With this independent company was also Lieut. J.C. Twyman and Lieut. Edward W. Ward, the latter being made captain for a time was in command. The company was organized under orders from Gen. Buell, in 1861. The company was on active duty continuously in connection with the cavalry of the army, and is most highly spoken of in the reports. In the organization of Buell’s army, June 10, 1862, it was associated with the cavalry, and led by Capt. Henry G. Twyman. In October, 1862, it was with the post forces at Nashville. November 5, 1862, Col. Smith, commanding that post, reports an attack upon Edgefield, which he repulsed, and says: “I can not close my report without mentioning the excellent conduct of the mounted scouts belonging to Capt. Twyman’s independent command. I have rarely seen their equal for efficiency and bravery.” July 4, 1863, Gen. Hobson mentions Capt. Twyman’s company with great praise, in the account of his operations against Morgan. In the organization on June 30, 1863, of the 23d Army Corps under Gen. Burnside, the Twyman Scouts are under command of Capt. E.W. Ward, in Boyle’s division, Shackelford’s brigade. They are again so reported in the organization of July 31, 1863, at which time they were consolidated with the 3d Cavalry.
    Attached Files
    Dane Utter
    Washington Guard

Re: 3rd KY Cav

And he is wearing a jacket that is common to many other Kentucky soldiers. To paraphrase early war government letters to contractors (located in Louisville, Cincinatti and Columbus OH) "to be made of the current pattern at Philadelphia." I need to go down to Frankfort and get copies of those documents again. But unfortunately all the contracts asked for the jackets to be made of SKY blue kersey, but there is no evidence that the sky blue jackets were ever recieved. Anyway, this is just another KY image wearing what resembles the SA infantry jacket.
    Last edited by ; 01-25-2004, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X