High-Resolution Selections from Confederate Prisoner Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High-res selections from Confederate prisoner groups

Last picture in opening post.....Picking nose or using cell phone?
    "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
    1st Missouri Battalion
    Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Hi,

I can not tell what he is doing with his hand Major Looney. It is strange, why would this soldier be holding his hand to his face for this photo? On a side note in the last 2 sets of photos of the Confederate prisoners, has anyone noticed the almost complete lack of Confederate kepis.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
        Hi,

I can not tell what he is doing with his hand Major Looney. It is strange, why would this soldier be holding his hand to his face for this photo? On a side note in the last 2 sets of photos of the Confederate prisoners, has anyone noticed the almost complete lack of Confederate kepis.
        He's picking his schnoz......
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
        Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
          Hi,
          On a side note in the last 2 sets of photos of the Confederate prisoners, has anyone noticed the almost complete lack of Confederate kepis.
          I don't blame them. I wouldn't wear one either.
          Ryan Burns
          The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
          3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

9th picture from top of original post. At first glance I thought this to be a shelter half. However, after looking closer there is a major transition in color from the outside to inside....looking again, I thought gum blanket/shelter half...but if so, i've never seen a loop grommit sewn into one that way. Any thoughts on what that is for sure?
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Well,

The 5th VA cavalry image kist furthers my own impression of there jackets being of EA cloth. Look at the contrast between the jacket and pants.

Regardless, did anybofy pick up on the major difference between the '63 Aldie image and the others? What struck me most was the near total absence of epaullets on the jackets in the 64 & 65 image. That means that by '64 either a whole lotta men were cutting off the shoulder straps, or that the government stopped adding them in time to issue prior to the spring '64 campaign season.

Could what we today call the "type-III" RD Jacket have been introduced much sooner than we think?

Questions and more questions.
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos! Very interesting!!!
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I agree with Tom. This, and the other zooms you've done of original photographs, are amazing. It throws these images into a whole new light. A book of these close-ups would be worthwhile and useful.
                  We almost always see stiff studio portraits of one or two people. These more rare semi-unposed field shots are much more revealing. Then to zoom in close enough to see their expressions and how they're wearing their gear makes it look somehow like these pictures were just taken. These are really good and I hope you keep doing it.
                  I always liked the well known shot below. I'd vote for that one.
                  Attached Files
                  [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                  [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
                  Independent Volunteers
                  [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                    Looks like a goodly number of uncovered Federal canteens on the prisoners. And they're wearing them over the left shoulder instead of the right. Haversacks too. At first I thought the image might be reversed but you can see a cap pouch on one of the guards and it is on the right side of his buckle where it should be.
                    The likely explanation for this is that since the rebs no longer have accouterments, it matters not what side the canteens and blanket rolls are on, so they did as they wished.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,

FWIW, when I am serving with the Ambulance Corps, and only have my personal items, I also shift the canteen over to the right in order to balance out the weight I am carrying.

For men used to carrying a rifle and cartridge box, it might well be the case that they also shifted weight to that side when the arms and accoutrements were dropped, because they were used to having weight there.

But yeah, they can do as they like now. At least they can be pretty certain of survivng the war.

Respects,
                      Tim Kindred
                      Medical Mess
                      Solar Star Lodge #14
                      Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by Horace View Post
                        I have tried and tried and tried some more to try and find a high resolution shot of it, but can't. I'm a big fan of that photograph as well.
                        Ryan Burns
                        The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Horace View Post
                          Do you know when this shot was taken? I'm interested in the number of infantry boots v/s brogans. Especially interested in the guys wearing them with their trousers tucked. I know this was a somewhat popular style, but i (for some reason) thought it to be uncommon in theater. My gut feeling is that it would be more common early than late war simply because of availability, and very dependent on location etc of unit. Does anyone know for sure?
                          PS: Love the images! A picture's worth a 1000 words....however, these are worth a 1000 from each solider in the picture!
                          Luke Gilly
                          Breckinridge Greys
                          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
                            Do you know when this shot was taken? I'm interested in the number of infantry boots v/s brogans. Especially interested in the guys wearing them with their trousers tucked. I know this was a somewhat popular style, but i (for some reason) thought it to be uncommon in theater. My gut feeling is that it would be more common early than late war simply because of availability, and very dependent on location etc of unit. Does anyone know for sure?
                            PS: Love the images! A picture's worth a 1000 words....however, these are worth a 1000 from each solider in the picture!
                            That photograph is generally listed as being taken around Petersburg in 1864.
                            Ryan Burns
                            The Skulkers Mess

Comment

I really appreciate the posting of these "up-close" high resolution pics. I did notice something else while looking them over. Maybe you guys can find some. But I didn't see not one NCO stripe on any of the jackets in any of these pics. Did anyone else notice any? And are the punch bowl pics showing the prisoners seperated into companies or regiments? Is that why they are in groups? If so, the addage "no two men dressed alike" would actually have legs. Although the Aldie pics show some guys who do look just alike. Just wondered if anyone else noticed...

Mark Berrier
                              North State Rifles

combinations@northstate.net
                              Mark Berrier

Comment

Sir, once again these are great images, I can almost smell 'em and hear their mutter of discontent from here (no offense suggested). Thanks for the work.
                                Last edited by yeoman; 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling
                                Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
                                X