Gunstock Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunstock Lathe

I recently visited the Science Museum in London and was pleased to have 'discovered' this.

It is an 1857 Ames Gunstock copy lathe which was originally installed in the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield in 1861. The complex patterns of a three dimensional stock could be reproduced very quickly and to within better tolerances, making weapons parts closer to interchange.

If this is the wrong place for this, please move it.
    Attached Files
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U]Ken Pettengale[/U][/I][/B][/FONT]
    [I]Volunteer Company, UK[/I]

"You may not like what you see, but do not on that account fall into the error of trying to adjust it to suit your own vision of what it ought to have been."
    -- [I][B]George MacDonald Fraser[/B][/I]

Re: Gunstock Lathe

Sir, thanks for bringing up the photo of the Ames gunstock copy turning lathe. A description of the lathe in the collection of, Science Museum/ Science & Society Picture Library, also states the machine was originally belt driven but was later adapted for an electric motor drive and it remained in service until 1966.
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Re: Gunstock Lathe

This is why the square eared washer is on "TOWER" and the rounded ear washer is on "ENFIELD" stocks. A machine ws used to route out the "Enfield" weapons and it was still done by hand on "TOWER" weapons.

In 1860 Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) in Enfield started producing parts interchangable P53s, P60s(2 band SGT rifle), & P61s(musketoons) soley for the War Dept, stamped "Enfield". The interchangable part Enfields were deemed category 1 or Class 1 weapons and mandated by Brit Army. This was the 4th generation of this weapon family or type IV. All hand built P53s were slowly taken out of service with the army as class 1 weapons became available for issue to regiments. prior to '60 the Brit army used hand built weapons from both London and Birmingham weapon makers; these were non- interchangable part weapons and deemed class 2 or cat 2. there was also a class 3 weapon which were older outdated (smothbore) designs. By '64 he Brits had converted to class 1 weapons for the entire Army and they soon became available for export.

Hence any 1860-64 dated marked "Enfield" could never have found its way over here for the ACW prior to 1864. This was great timing for the hand-made cottage weapon making industry in Birmingham and London, as the Brit army no longer wanted hand made weapons, US and CS agents created demand for the ACW here. All "TOWER" marked weapons were still hand made, non-interchangable parts.
      Last edited by Prodical Reb; 01-01-2010, 09:36 AM.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X