Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P56/57 Volunteer Cap Pocket

Pards,

Something I picked up recently. A Pattern 1856/57 cap pocket that was discovered in an attic in Essex, England. It also has part of the original pouch belt with it with the initials 'ERV' (Essex Rifle Volunteers) Many of these and the regular army cap pouches were imported for CS troops.

Dave Burt
    Attached Files
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: P56/57 Volunteer Cap Pocket

Dave,

Would you mind describing the regular army cap pouch as opposed to this model? Is it what I have heard (correctly or incorrectly) described as a "un-formed cap pouch" or a "Brunswick rifle cap pouch"?
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Joseph, not a great deal of difference between this and the regular army cap pocket, except the regular one had a gusset and the angled sleeve does not stretch across the top of the pocket. The volunteer one is also slightly wider. S. Isaac Campbell & Co manufactured most of these for the Vols although mine is unmarked. See the attached engraving of the regular army style for comparison.

Dave Burt
      Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	223845
      David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Thanks! I see the difference now, thanks to your clarification.
        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
        Yocona Rip Raps
        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Working...
        X