Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Frock Coat

Gents and Ladies-

A Confederate artilleryman's frock coat up for sale from one of the dealers in Tennessee. It seems to have an interesting color to it that some may find of interest.

Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Confederate Frock Coat

It says on the site that it was made at home but how would a civilian get artillery buttons. Hunter Greene
    Hunter Greene
    ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

Good question. I don't want to travel too far into speculation land, but once the item was received, buttons can fall off/pop off as you do pretty much anything. THis could have happened, and he had to replace them with these. The buttons could be a post war addition from the family as well. I've seen this with a few coats and jackets in the Atlanta History Center's Turning Point exhibit.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

This is a nice find, does anyone have the information left off the site like who the coat belonged too, what unit, years served, where he was killed? The coat looks to be in great condition and the color is very interesting after all these years.
        Don Woods
        Member ABT

Comment

I would agree with Herb there are any number of reasons a homemade/homespun jacket had regulation issue buttons on it. More than likely the owner acquired them sometime later in the field but we will probably never know. I believe the Marchbanks jacket in EOG has a similar type background. A wife made homespun jacket having government issue buttons.

I browse several Civil War relic dealers during the week and post links to interesting items they have for sale. I have not approached any of them to ask for details on any of the items. Often times the more in depth information about items such as this jacket is reserved for the buyer unfortunately.
          Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Lined A buttons look British/Irish to me, like those from Manchester or from P. Tait, Limerick. Again, more question marks than periods. But, I know this...I like it.
            Joe Knight

Armory Guards
            Yocona Rip Raps
            "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Sorry I'm new but thinking he later replaced the brings up another questions. How would a soldier in the field get a hold of loose military buttons and if he replaced them wouldn't the coat be in worse shape. Hunter Greene
              Hunter Greene
              ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

Hunter, IMHO I think that the buttons could have been saved from a previously owned jacket or he could have traded for them.

Originally posted by [I
                if he replaced them wouldn't the coat be in worse shape?[/I]
                I am not quite sure what yo mean by this. Are you asking if the coat would be in worse shape because he replaced the buttons?
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

In responce to Tylor underwoods question, I mean if the buttons popped off like Herb said then I would think the coat would be in worse shape because all the buttons were the block A.Meaning more wear on the coat to be able to lose all the buttons. Hunter Greene
                  Hunter Greene

Comment

Hunter, thanks for clarifying your question. I wouldn’t think that a garment would necessarily be in worse shape. Think about how often we as reenactors lose buttons and then replace them. Most of our stuff doesn’t show that much wear either. Just a thought.
                    Tyler Underwood
                    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                    Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Sorry about that, Im new to the hobby all I've done is research never attended any events. Hunter Greene
                      Hunter Greene

Comment

If memory serves me correctly the soldier found at Franklin back in 2009 had a variety of military buttons found with him. That led many to conjecture that the soldier could have been a Confederate having scavenged many different buttons during his service time. Again, we are only guessing as soldiers on both sides did this but it is commonly associated with southern soldiers as such items were not always readily available for him.

Soldiers both north and south used what they could find and field modified their uniforms and gear often quite effectively. After all more often than not each regiment had a fair variety of tailors, harness makers and 19th century occupations represented on their rolls. We see this in the modifications seen in many period photographs of soldiers having pockets and cuts on their uniforms that were not standard issue. So the possibility of a soldier having acquiring buttons from a variety of sources is very plausible.
                        Louis Zenti

Comment

Hunter, no need to apologize, I appreciate your thought into the matter and I look forward to future discussions.
                          Tyler Underwood
                          Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                          Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

"Hunter, no need to apologize, I appreciate your thought into the matter and I look forward to future discussions."
                            Thanks I'm also looking forward to further discussions. Hunter Greene
                            Hunter Greene

Comment

Soldiers also could purchase buttons from various commercial sources. Southern hospital matron Phoebe Yates Pember describes how her patients developed a button mania: “Men who had never had a dream or a hope beyond a horn convenience to keep their clothing together, saved up their scanty means to replace them with gilt, and made neat little wooden shelves with a slit through the middle into which the buttons slid, so that they could be cleaned or brightened without taking them off, or soiling the jacket.”
                              Bob Williams
                              26th North Carolina Troops
                              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                              X