Uniform worn by Pvt. William Stephens, 17th Virginia Cavalry Battalion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform worn by Pvt. William Stephens, 17th Virginia Cavalry Battalion

Private Stephens uniform from the Weitzel Collection. Check out his trousers.
    Eric "Woody" Woodward

Re: Uniform worn by Pvt. William Stephens, 17th Virginia Cavalry Battalion

What would be the use for all the buttons.
    Hunter Greene
    ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

In October, 1861, my GG grandfather wrote home to my GG grandmother, "I want two check shirts, 1 pair pants, two pair socks, and the yarn shirt to button to the pants, and 1 pair of good boots." I don't know if he's talking about a sweater, but I wonder if those buttons are for buttoning some upper garment like granddaddy did.
      Carlton Mansfield
      26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

I believe they are "fall front" trousers. Notice how there is no fly.
        Eric "Woody" Woodward

Comment

Mr. Woodward beat me to it. I have to say it's rare to see fall front trousers from the 1860's, as I believe (if memory serves it's purpose/I should know this) their use fizzled out by 1850-ish.
          I'm sure someone knows better than me and could confirm this.
          Jacob Cigich

Comment

There is a virtually identical pair of fall-front trousers for sale through a Schoolcraft, MI dealer called Manual of Arms. I've attached a comparison photo below; the pair at left are the "Stephens" pair. Also attached are a very nice home made pair that was worn by John C. Speck, 39th Battalion Virgina Cavalry. Speck enlisted in late 1863 and had a full set of home made clothing including trousers, jacket, overcoat, and vests.

I looked up William Stephens and found that he was a member of the 17th Regiment VA Cavalry, not the 17th Battalion. Unfortunately I haven't had time yet to locate any service records for him so I don't know when he enlisted, mustered out, etc.. Here's a short history of the regiment from nps.gov:

"17th Cavalry Regiment was organized at Salem, Virginia, in January, 1863, by consolidating the 33rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry with three new companies. It was assigned to Jenkins' and McCausland's Brigade, was active in the Gettysburg Campaign, then returned to western Virginia. The regiment fought at Cloyd's Mountain, was with Early in the Shenandoah Valley, and saw action around Appomattox. There were 241 engaged at Gettysburg and during February, 1864, it contained 311 effectives. In April, 1865, it disbanded at Lynchburg. The field officers were Colonel William H. French, Lieutenant Colonel William C. Tavenner, and Major Frederick F. Smith."
            Attached Files
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Cloyd's Mountain? Isn't there a "Wytheville jacket" with a history connected to that battle?
              Pat Brown

Comment

Brian,
                I have been doing some research on the 17th for a living history we are doing at Monocacy in July. There is not much on William Stephenson. His records start with the 17th and not the other units that comprised the regiment. It only has a prison record. He was captured near Winchester on February 9th 1863 and sent to Wheeling on Feb 10, 1863. He was then transferred to Camp Chase on Feb 12 and released from prison on March 25th 1863. He doesn't have any other records. His description is "dark hair, dark complexion, dark eyes, 5'7 1/2", mustache and occupation engineer". That was all I found. Nothing on clothing.
                Rob Bruno
                1st MD Cav
                http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

is there a way to see the jacket above the trousers?

Todd Kern
                  Last edited by Coatsy; 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM. Reason: Name
                  Todd Kern

Comment

Yep, just click on the link at the top.
                    Jason David

Peter Pelican
                    36th Illinois Co. "B"
                    Prodigal Sons Mess
                    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Working...
                    X