Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blanket questions

Good evening everyone,
    I have two questions regarding a federal issue blanket purchased about 8 years ago.
    1. Can anyone identify the maker of this blanket? It's dimensions are about 53.5 inches wide by about 99 inches long! The end stripes are about 4.5 inches wide. There is no "US" stitched in the centre.
    2. Going by the regulations of the time, and comparing it to quality reproduction blankets on the market today it seems that this blanket does not conform. How variable were blanket sizes durring the duration of the war?

Any info or direction is greatly appreciated,
    Ben Reed
    Ben Reeed

As far as variations go, your blanket is acceptable. At least as far as my research tells me. How much does it weigh?
    Kirk Womack Jr

Comment

FWIW, I agree with Mr. Womack. The blanket described is about a foot narrower and a foot longer than the (postwar) QMD specs, but its appearance falls in the range of originals and its dimensions aren't out of whack given the efforts made by the army to secure enough from any source available.

An extreme example of shortages and variation occurred in 1862 when the army was briefly compelled to ask recruits to consider bringing one from home. This excerpt is from General Order 121 of August 29, 1862, titled "ORDERS CONCERNING SUPPLIES TO DRAFTED MILITIA":

"As the sudden call for volunteers and militia has exhausted the supply of blankets, fit for military purposes, in the market, and it will take some time to procure by manufacture or importation a sufficient supply, all citizens who may volunteer or be drafted are advised to take with them to the rendezvous, if possible, a good stout woolen blanket. The regulation military blanket is 84x66 inches, and weighs five pounds.

"As all clothing, blankets, and shoes issued by the United States to its troops are charged at average cost, and no soldier who furnishes his own blanket is required to draw one, it is to his interest to supply himself, and thereby avoid much discomfort, as it is impossible for the United States to supply all the troops immediately."
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
      X