Federal belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal belts

Need help, where early/pre war Federal infantry belts brown or black? Where they smooth outside or buff outside, and finally where they dyed white on the inside? I tried searching but got no clear answer. Thanks
    John Suttorp

Were, not where.
    John Suttorp

Comment

To be in context mexican war 1839 belts were white buff
      In 1841 they did away with the over the shoulder white carry belt for the bayonet for one on the belt with a frog which were sewn belts were smooth side out that stayed the norm until 1855
      when they changed to black which remained the color same with scabbard
      this is also the time they experimented with the 1855 riflemens belt boxes and rifle that became the 1855 springfield Maynard primer to replace the 42 or put into auxiliary service the boxes in both 69 cal and 58 cal were made for attachment on the belt
      that changed in 1857/1858 they change the overall shape of the boxes for and the belt to what would be basis for the standard belt albeit with an 1839 plate and I believe did away with the bayonet scabbard carrier widget thingy that accompanies the 1855 belt to just a regular sewn bayonet frog later 2 rivet bayonet based off the 1841 pattern they started to use a larger belt plate same as the one used on the box the.belts were still the width of the 1839 they started to get a little wider the color was black as to if they were smooth side out I don’t know in 1861 they started using brass keepers with or instead of the loop they made the 1861 boxes standard and the belts stayed black
      if any of this is wrong someone please come by and correct me

christian roberts 79th New York company c
      Christian Roberts

Comment

As above first picture is a an 1855 rifleman’s belt
        below a standard 1861 pattern belt below an 1839 belt with the loop
        below that in more detail an 1839 pattern belt with the 1841 bayonet scabbard
        Christian Roberts

Comment

Working...
        X