Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officers' Accoutrements for Pistols

Good afternoon,

I'm prepping for an infantry company-level officer impression, and I'm having some troubles finding information in the Regulations or Ordnance Manual for what an officer might have to go along with his pistol. Obviously, a holster is a given, but would they have a cartridge box or cylinder box of some sort? Would they also have a cap box? Should I be looking to the regs for a cavalry officer for guidelines on pistol wear?

EDIT: While I'm thinking on it, would a company officer carry a haversack and canteen?
    Last edited by ArgumentGuy; 02-08-2023, 02:55 PM.
    Brad Scarp

The government did not issue arms and accouterments to officers and there was no requirement that they carry firearms. Like officer uniforms, such things were privately purchased by each officer so there could be much variety depending on the officer's inclination and budget, if carried at all. In the instances I carried a sidearm as an officer, I opted for a light .32 caliber S&W No.2 Army carried in a small private purchase holster with extra cartridge packs carried in my pocket. Simple and light was my preference. I wanted my focus to be on commanding the company, not my sidearm.

Haversack and canteen is appropriate in a field scenario. I preferred carrying an officer style haversack with a private purchase canteen. However a government issue canteen and haversack is not entirely out of the question depending on the scenario being depicted.
    Paul McKee

Comment

I’m having the same trouble with NCOs carrying pistols which I don’t know is accurate that is as far as I know if it is let me know
      Christian Roberts

Comment

Originally posted by 79thpard View Post
        I’m having the same trouble with NCOs carrying pistols which I don’t know is accurate that is as far as I know if it is let me know
        Speaking in very general terms:
        Infantry NCOs were issued the same arms as the privates at the government expense. Although privately-purchased, small-caliber pistols did make an appearance among enlisted men of the early volunteers, generally they were soon discarded as encumbrances during the first campaign.
        Paul McKee

Comment

Thank you what about someone who is a first seargent?
          Your comment does enlighten me but what about higher rank ncos was it also an encumbrance for them?
          This answer about ditching the pistols intrigues me
          I’m certain your right but what about battle field pickups
          im certain some dumb fresh NCO could think he might be able to carry the dead weight inside there coat pockets but I’m certain this is a farb practice
          But for all ncos across the board? Im not
          advocating it I just need to know

chris roberts
          79th New York company c
          Christian Roberts

Comment

Originally posted by 79thpard View Post
            Thank you what about someone who is a first seargent?
            c
            Infantry first sergeants were armed the same as any other sergeant in the company. My advice would be simply not to carry a pistol unless there is primary evidence the first sergeant in that particular company actually carried one in the timeframe being portrayed. Anything else would be simply trying to justify a reenactor whim IMO.

Paul McKee

Comment

Going to acknowledge the corn with that one.
              thanks
              Chris roberts company c 79th New York highland guard
              Christian Roberts

Comment

Working...
              X