Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate issued to home procured uniforms - Ratio

Hey Fellows,

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to estimate the ratio of uniforms issue to or procured by Confederate soldiers. I have been asked to do a program on Confederate uniforms for a local S.C.V. meeting and just wanted to check that detail out.

Thank for you help and thoughts.
    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Re: Confederate issued to home procured uniforms - Ratio

I don't know how accurate it would be (or any of it because records are going to be scarce anyhow)...but you might be able to find the number of say coats/jackets each depot cranked out from '61 through the end and compare that to the estimated number of servicemen (assuming they all wore coats and all issued came from depots). I believe maybe Les Jenson's popular article gives a number for at least a handful of depots. At least this would give you depot numbers compared to everything else. When you get more info please post it...it would be a neat thing to look at.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

If you haven't already checked, there is a lot of good information in "Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown." You might find a little of what you're looking for there.
      V/R
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks fellas,
        I'm going to check jenson and I have a copy of Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown. I have been away from my library for some time now in the process of moving.
        Thanks,

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

John Worsham, in "One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry", claims he drew 2 jackets and 3 pair of trowsers per year, 1861 to 1864 before he was wounded at Winchester and put out of the War.
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

A friend of mine and I were discussing this very thing today. I were discussing this as it related to one unit and realized how hard that might be to come with a ratio of just one unit much less the ANV. My suggestion might be to base your presentation on one unit to start. You would of course have to take into account all the details of that unit, but it might be a start. That is our plan anyway.
            Rob Bruno
            1st MD Cav
            http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Hey,
              I think your right, and I may change it to just western theater or trans-mississippi area. A lot more uniforms and equipment were issed to the ANV probably than most areas of the Confederacy. I just thought that would have been a good general statistic, but probably further research should be done to be most acurate.

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

Some interesting quotes here, but I believe they apply to the westen theater.
                Mark G. Lewis

Formerly with the "State's Rights Guard" & the 10th Texas @ Pickett's Mill

"I was told that even if a regiment was clothed in proper uniform by the Government, it would be parti-colored again in a week, as the soldiers preferred wearing the coarse home-spun jackets and trousers made by their mothers and sisters at home. The Generals very wisely allow them to please themselves in this respect"~Freemantle~

Comment

Originally posted by rebjeb04 View Post
                  Hey Fellows,

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to estimate the ratio of uniforms issue to or procured by Confederate soldiers.

Your title suggests you trying to figure the ratio of items shipped from home to items issued by the CS quartermaster. Is that correct or am I mis-reading?

If so, that is going to be near impossible since no official records were kept as to items shipped directly to the soldiers from home.
                  Jim Mayo
                  Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                  http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hey Jim,
                    Yes, that is the question, and I understand we will probably never know an exact figure, but I was just looking for and estimate given what information does exist.
                    Thanks

Little Rock Castle No. 1

Comment

I think Jim's right about the impossibility of getting good numbers; moreover we may need to think of several categories of clothing: clothing sent from home; clothing procured locally with commutation funds provided by the government (prior to December, 1862); clothing provided by the state; and clothing issued by the Confederate quartermaster department.

Since this runs the risk of simply compounding the impossibility of getting an answer, maybe we should restate the problem as 1) finished clothing items provided by the quartermaster department, and 2) all other sources.

If you can find the clothing issued by the depots through the sources given earlier (or come up with a reasonable estimate), then you can subtract that number from what the troops theoretically required. The resulting number would roughly indicate what they got from other sources.

To calculate the theoretical requirements, you multiply the official issue by the number of troops in service.

The official issue rate comes from G. O. 100 of December 8, 1862 (announcing the end of the commutation system -- the three numbers indicate issues for the first, second, and third year of service):

Cap, complete ………………….. 2-1-1 $2
                      Cover …………………………… 1-1-1 $0.38
                      Jacket …………………………… 2-1-1 $12
                      Trowsers …………………………3-2-2 $9
                      Shirt ………………………………3-3-3 $3
                      Drawers …………………………..3-3-3 $3
                      Shoes, pairs ……………………… 4-4-4 $6
                      Socks, pairs ……………………… 4-4-4 $1.60
                      Leather stock ……………………... 1-0-0 $0.25
                      Great-coat ………………………… 1-0-0 $25
                      Stable-frock for mounted men ……. 1-0-0 $2
                      Fatigue overall (for engineers & ordnance) 1-1-1 $3
                      Blanket……………………………. 1-0-1 $7.50

The estimated number of men in service comes from Livermore's "Numbers and Losses" (p. 47), broken down by year:

1861: 231,729
                      1862: 376,406
                      1863: 424,018
                      1864: 463,891
                      1865: 463,181

1861 and 1865 should be prorated.

This calculation would assume that the issue rate reflected actual use rate. This might not be too far off if we further assume that, although troops went through clothing more quickly in active service than projected, they simply became more ragged than desired but not actually naked.

You can probably also ignore some items that were provided in small numbers, if at all, like leather stocks and stable frocks. Apart from this, the calculation would ignore a host of local variables. But I think that, with a decent spreadsheet, it would give a general idea of the overall ratio of what the CS QMD provided, vs. what had to be obtained through other means.

Good luck -- if you actually undertake such a calculation and can share it, the rest of us would be much obliged.
                      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                        I think Jim's right about the impossibility of getting good numbers; moreover we may need to think of several categories of clothing: clothing sent from home; clothing procured locally with commutation funds provided by the government (prior to December, 1862); clothing provided by the state; and clothing issued by the Confederate quartermaster department.

Since this runs the risk of simply compounding the impossibility of getting an answer, maybe we should restate the problem as 1) finished clothing items provided by the quartermaster department, and 2) all other sources.

If you can find the clothing issued by the depots through the sources given earlier (or come up with a reasonable estimate), then you can subtract that number from what the troops theoretically required. The resulting number would roughly indicate what they got from other sources.

To calculate the theoretical requirements, you multiply the official issue by the number of troops in service.

The official issue rate comes from G. O. 100 of December 8, 1862 (announcing the end of the commutation system -- the three numbers indicate issues for the first, second, and third year of service):

Cap, complete ………………….. 2-1-1 $2
                        Cover …………………………… 1-1-1 $0.38
                        Jacket …………………………… 2-1-1 $12
                        Trowsers …………………………3-2-2 $9
                        Shirt ………………………………3-3-3 $3
                        Drawers …………………………..3-3-3 $3
                        Shoes, pairs ……………………… 4-4-4 $6
                        Socks, pairs ……………………… 4-4-4 $1.60
                        Leather stock ……………………... 1-0-0 $0.25
                        Great-coat ………………………… 1-0-0 $25
                        Stable-frock for mounted men ……. 1-0-0 $2
                        Fatigue overall (for engineers & ordnance) 1-1-1 $3
                        Blanket……………………………. 1-0-1 $7.50

The estimated number of men in service comes from Livermore's "Numbers and Losses" (p. 47), broken down by year:

1861: 231,729
                        1862: 376,406
                        1863: 424,018
                        1864: 463,891
                        1865: 463,181

As a partial examination, the book Confederate Industry claims CS Army QM data shows the issue during 1864 of:

744, 851 pairs of shoes (all but 199,851 pairs imported)
                        316,000 imported blankets (the south being without machinery to make suitable ones)
                        458, 131 jackets were issued.
                        744, 851 pairs of trousers issued.
                        (of the above, it is estimated ca. 200,000 suits, or ca. 1/3 were made of imported cloth).
                        [pgs. 178-179]

With nearly 463, 891 men in service during 1864, the above suggests that theoretically the CS Army produced a uniform for all but ca. 10,000 men during the year. We can add into this the bureaucracy factor, and the known wastefullness of the troops in the field, as well as the evidence that the majority of this material was issued principally to the ANV and AOT (which two armies contained at best less than half the total of men) and not necessarily divided evenly between the various departments, and that all the while the new issues were made, huge quantities of the garments in use were reaching the end of their service life... etc.; and the theoretical quantity is boiled down to time and place, and the efficiency of the unit, and availability of the supply, etc.. Regardless, the above quantity was barely sufficient according to the numbers was at worst largely insufficient, or at least barely insufficient. There was clearly no large scale surplus...

archie.
                        James "Archie" Marshall
                        The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                        Tampa, FL

Comment

Thank you, Archie! Just one question: you have the same number for both trowsers and shoes. Is that right?

For the other items, I'm going to go out on a limb and do a preliminary calculation. If we look at the average annual rate of issue in G.O. 100 and multiply it by Livermore's average number of Confederate soldiers in the ranks for 1864, we come up with the theoretical requirement, which we can then compare to the production numbers you give above.

All sorts of caveats apply, including those you mentioned, especially soldiers' complaints that clothing wore out much more quickly on active service than the Regs allowed.

Given that, 463,891 soldiers would have required (x1.333) 618,367 jackets, of which the actual procurement (458,131) met 74% of the need.

The same number of soldiers would have required (x.666) 308,951 blankets, for which actual procurement (316,000) provided a small, 2% surplus.

Depending on whether the 744,851 number applies to trowsers or shoes, it represents 69% of the theoretical requirement for the former, but only 40% for the latter.

I'd be very interested in seeing which article that number applies to.

1864 seems a good year to look at, as the depot system was probably functioning at its peak then.
                          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Archie,

Does the book specify if those numbers include clothing from state QM departments? If it doesn't then we need to take those numbers with a big pinch of salt. North Carolina, Georgia, and to a lesser extent South Carolina were still making and issuing significant numbers of uniforms for their soldiers. All three states were at best lukewarm to the CSQMD because of previous shortages of clothing to their men and so they they worked in a kind of parallel system to supply clothing to the men of their states. North Carolina was even able to send a large shipment of surplus clothing to the Army of Tennessee in early 1864.....

This doesn't even touch what was produced at home or captured from the field. The University of Mississippi owns a home made jacket that was owned by a member of the 3rd Mississippi Cavalry who was killed near Atlanta. I've seen records where units detailed men to go home and make or procure clothing and shoes for their company/regiment or had them made in camp. In the Trans-MS, it was not uncommon for some units to be issued cloth and have the men make their own clothing. I know this was the case with a couple of Louisiana cavalry units in early 1863.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Mississippian View Post
                              Archie,

Does the book specify if those numbers include clothing from state QM departments? If it doesn't then we need to take those numbers with a big pinch of salt. North Carolina, Georgia, and to a lesser extent South Carolina were still making and issuing significant numbers of uniforms for their soldiers. All three states were at best lukewarm to the CSQMD because of previous shortages of clothing to their men and so they they worked in a kind of parallel system to supply clothing to the men of their states. North Carolina was even able to send a large shipment of surplus clothing to the Army of Tennessee in early 1864.....

This doesn't even touch what was produced at home or captured from the field. The University of Mississippi owns a home made jacket that was owned by a member of the 3rd Mississippi Cavalry who was killed near Atlanta. I've seen records where units detailed men to go home and make or procure clothing and shoes for their company/regiment or had them made in camp. In the Trans-MS, it was not uncommon for some units to be issued cloth and have the men make their own clothing. I know this was the case with a couple of Louisiana cavalry units in early 1863.

Will MacDonald
                              Howdy will,

I do not have my copy of Confederate Industry at hand (its been perennially loaned out of late), but I do see on Google books, that (p. 128-129), the CS Army QMD was calculating the clothing issued by GA and NC into its totals. Here is the breakdown according to A.R. Lawton's REcords, (this should answer part of Michael's question posted earlier...):
                              Jan-JUne, 1864:
                              397, 594 prs. shoes (including 37, 657 from GA, and 9, 263 from NC.)
                              242, 337 jackets (including 26, 747 from GA, and 21, 301 from NC.)
                              353, 433 prs. pants (including 28, 808 from GA. and 32, 104 from NC.)
                              JUly-Dec. 64 issues totalled: (including GA and NC issues not broken down in the book, as with the previous...)
                              shoes, pr. 347, 257,
                              jackets, 215, 703,
                              pants, 342, 399

Regarding home made, I have no doubt a considerable portion of CS troops remained in "homespun" throughout the war. My comments above regard the "theoretical" quantity of CS Army issue clothing compared tot he number of troops. The totals above serve only to demonstrate the CS ARmy's contribution to the spectrum of Confederate army clothing. I also suspect that large numbers of men may have drawn army clothes, but did not wear them. Robert Watson of the 7th Fla. mentions selling his clothes for food, etc. Also, there are some references in Bell Wiley's JOhnny Reb, regarding sending army clothes home to destitute families, etc. etc. Freemantle himself quotes officers of the AOT in 1863 that the men could be provided uniforms, but within a week would be dressed as they pleased...

cheers,

Archie
                              James "Archie" Marshall
                              The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                              Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                              X