Life in a Garrison Pt. 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in a Garrison Pt. 5

The further adventures of the 14th New York Heavy Artillery while stationed in the New York Harbor Defenses. Copied from the Regimental Books, Record Group 94, National Archives, Washington DC.

"Orders No. 312, HQ Ft Hamilton, NY Harbor, Nov 27 1863: “The outrage committed last night on peaceable citizens of the village calls for a more vigilant supervision of the officers of the day over their guards and sentinels. The 43rd Article of War requires all soldiers to retire to their quarters at retreat, and this will be enforced strictly in the future by the guard, as well as by all company officers who will in no case fail to attend every stated roll-call.

"A Corporal and three men of the guard will patrol through the village every two hours from retreat till reveille to pick up and confine all soldiers found out of camp without a written pass.

"The Rules and Articles of War will be read to the companies of the 14th N.Y.V. Artillery by their respective commanders for three successive days beginning on the 28th inst. By order of Col. Day.”

Col. E.G. Marshall to Asst Adjt General Department of the East, Jan 23, 1864: “I have the honor to state that my Regiment has lately been re-organized as a Heavy Artillery Regiment that two companies now at Fort Hamilton have not received any instruction in Artillery – Since my arrival at this Post I have established Artillery and Infantry schools of instruction for officers, besides having both Artillery and Infantry drills. I hope by spring to have the six companies of my Regiment now at this Post in an excellent state of discipline ..." [He also had about 150 men of 4th US Infantry under him.]

"It would be my ambition to get these under perfect discipline and well instructed in both Artillery and Infantry drills- My Regiment having been so lately organized must be in a wretched state of discipline and I must earnestly request the transfer of Companies ‘E’ and F to this post--There is not an officer or man in my Regiment that does not need instruction and I trust by the assistance of the Heads of Departments over me to finally have a Regiment which will be worthy of the service to which it belongs.”

“H. Qrs. U. S. Troops N.Y. C. & Harbor N. Y. March 22, 1864. The proceedings and finding in the case of Private Samuel Thorpe, Co E 14th N. Y. V. A., are approved, but the sentence is disapproved. Private Thorpe is duly convicted of the offence of ‘deserting his post in time of war,’ [he slept in a tent while on guard duty] and as such, is punishable by the law with death, or other severe punishment. The sentence ‘to have his head shaved and be drummed out of camp’ as a sole punishment for this aggravated offence does not meet the ends of justice, and would, if executed, be incompatible with the interests of the service. The proceedings are not returned to the Court for revision in consequence of its already extended session and the requirements of the officers for other service. Private Thorpe is released from confinement and restored to duty, with the warning that a repetition of such conduct will be punished by the severest penalty of the law. … By order of Brigadier General Stannard.”
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.
Working...
X