4th Kentucky Infantry Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Kentucky Infantry Diary

I am in the process of editing the letters and diaries of a Soldier of Company A, 4th Kentucky Infantry, who served as a color bearer at Shiloh, was wounded there, and survived as a sergeant and officer until mortally wounded at Jonesboro in '64. He states in his diary that the company was awakened one night on the advance to Shiloh and were issued Enfield Rifle Muskets and spent much of the night trying to figure out how to adjust the strange British accouterments by fire light. Yes, there were ordnance issues of some brand new traps just before the battle. Since he did not survive the war, we don't have to worry about whether his "memory" remained accurate through reunions and reading the CVM.

Dave Stieghan
    David Stieghan
    aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
    Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
    Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Re: National Event- Shiloh

Dave,
    Would love to read said letters and diaries. Would you be willing to share here or if not shoot me a PM and I'll get you my email. Would like to add to the "database" (like I need more ;)
    Jeff Felton
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]Liberty Rifles
    CWPT[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/"]http://northcarolinastatetroops.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for posting that info. It's good to have another documented source about Confederate arms in general at Shiloh. Just to be clear, I have no doubt that Confederates were receiving issues of Enfields just before the battle--the skepticism I had was solely with respect to whether all of the 6th Mississippi, or instead, only the flank companies, had the new Enfields.

All in all it sounds like the letters and diaries you are editing are a fantastic resource. Thank you.
      Last edited by GenuineInformation; 06-21-2011, 01:59 AM.
      Joe Knight

Armory Guards
      Yocona Rip Raps
      "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

No that is true. The 4th did receive enfields the day before the battle. The 4th being part of the Orphan brigade. As a matter of fact, many members in the brigade didn't have any arms nor uniforms before Shiloh.

Comment

Re: 4th Kentucky Infantry Diary

David,
          I have actually been putting endless amounts of time into researching a relative of mine in Company H of the 4th Kentucky. As Jeff said about, I would love to read them if you are willing and able to share.

Aaron Rowland
          Aaron Rowland
          Prodigal Son ~ Corn Fed Comrade
          Petersburg National Battlefield

"It was the saddest affair I have witnessed in war." ~ U.S. Grant, Battle of the Crater

Comment

Working...
          X