Union Corporal belt buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Corporal belt buckle

Dang, I should know this by now, but every now and then I should refresh myself. Would at any point a Union Corporal wear the eagle buckle? or is it only worn by Sgts? (applied silver wreath). I seem to only see cavalry corporals wearing them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zouave114; 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM.
    Jeffrey Scott Rodriguez
    7th NJ Infantry[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]

Re: Union Corporal belt buckle

The mounted saber belt for Cav. & Art. had the eagle plate with silver wreath attached. It was issued to all enlistedmen regardless of rank.
    Brian Baird

Comment

Hallo!

Correct.

In brief...

The "eagle plate" was intended for officers and men who had swords.

Yes, it is a bit confusing because the original order and subsequent regulations talk about "...for all Commissioned Officers and Soldiers of the Army" or "For all Officers and Enlisted Men."

And does not speak to non-commissioned officers per se.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

...and then to spoil it all, along comes the 93rd New York with their mixture of state and federal sergeant's belt plates on other-than-sergeants. Don't be like the rogue 93rd, kids!

Click image for larger version

Name:	93nybelts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	223764
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Hey Jeffrey,

The way I read your message and judging by your unit is that you're asking about infantrymen? If so, the regs call for the eagle with applied silver wreath to be worn by Sgts (and Musicians), whereas Cpls. wear the standard "US" plate. BUT... there is photographic evidence of Cpls wearing the wreath plate. The one image that pops right into my mind is of the 149th PA in 1864; although there are virtually no chevrons being worn, you can see that guys who would make sense to be Cpls by their position in line are wearing the eagle belt plate: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...2003006606/PP/

I know I've seen more examples, I might have some at home on my computer.
          Paul Boccadoro
          Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Kind of of reminds me of the late-war practice of wearing officer hat cords on enlisted hats. Not regulation, but sometimes done.
            Paul McKee

Comment

Thanks guys!
              Jeffrey Scott Rodriguez
              7th NJ Infantry[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X